Discuss Is this pay standard? Good? Appalling? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dooby

I've been offered a post (electrical improver) by the building site I've been doing work experience on. They take you on on a self employed basis,so you have to jump through the hoops and be grateful whilst not getting sick, holiday etc. This'd be my first proper paid job as a spark, am qualified as domestic, 2392 etc. (Vast amount of experience/quals etc in completely irrelevant fields)

Now I knew I'd have to start again small. Is ÂŁ8.50 an hour reasonable? It's pretty much the London living wage, so couldn't get much lower. I could start a dozen jobs tomorrow in admin/care/manual etc ie unskilled for ÂŁ10 an hour.

Is this usual? Am I being hideously ungrateful? Would you normally expect to suck it up and move quickly upwards from this if you were any good? I'd been led to expect 10 an hour for improvers from the guys I work with, so was a bit dismayed.

(Sorry, the trainee forum looked too complicated to join and I'm a bit drunk)

London you say? I think that most 'Improvers' around my way are on about the same as that so I would expect it to be slightly higher in London. It may still be worth it though as its a foot in the door and a chance to gain more experience. You may find that they set a low starting wage then review it after 3 or 6 months. Do they have any other trainee sparks working for them that you could speak to?

I tend to think a foot in the door is a good start and you should take it, whats the chances of progression if you get a job doing manual labour/admin? Experience is invaluable.

well it's low, but as others have said take it, what else are you going to do? put up with it and things will probably get better soon. they probably start everybody on a low wage and after 6 weeks if your any good you get a pay rise

I said I'd take it right enough (am not completely daft), and would check out if this was standard/to be expected in the meantime. From what I'd been told, improvers were on about 10 quid where I was, but that wasn't by top management obvs. So long as it's the same across the board and comparable guys are on the same as me. As a woman, I take a LOT of **** in the workplace, and getting less than other guys would just be the final straw...

Would seem silly that a London building site would pay minimum/living wage for a job like that so that one imagines most folk would want to f*** off (too drunk to think of alternative term) soon as they'd got pretty competent, so that employer loses you soon as you're a more productive employee.

Well Dooby, I`m pretty much in the same boat as yourself in North Wales. I have the job offer, but I have to go self employed, which in itself sounds a bit daunting. My starting wage will be ÂŁ7 an hour, but that will be reviewed at 6 months. The other worry is that they can only guarantee 3-6 months work at the moment, although they have tendered for other contracts. Currently I work in a shop, doing a day here and there with the shop sparky but it`s just not enough. I need to be working as an electrician full time so I can get more experience. A few people who I`ve spoken to said its all about getting the foot in the proverbial door. Its going to be hard work, but hopefully it will be the right decision. Just go for it, I am!

becoming self employed should not be daunting, it's easier than you think and you will pay very little tax and probably no class 4 NI if you are on ÂŁ7 an hour.

I would go for it too, there are people on here who offer to work for free to get a foot in the door. It is the people you will meet along the way that will get you into the " crack" as we call it up here , after awhile you will have your finger on the pulse and know what is going on everywhere. Think of it as networking whilst getting paid.

Cheers all for rest of replies, yeah I worked for free with them for 4 months already for the experience! So I guess this is a step in the right direction albeit slooooowly..
Am waiting to get written confirmation of start date. This is taking longer than I thought, in the meantime I may get some experience of long lie-ins, soon to be a distant memory...

A lot of companies take for ever to get things done once they've offered you a job, most of us have been there in the past. It may pay just to drop them an email or give them a call & ask if there's any news, you may find it speeds things up if they know your keen. In the meantime spend some time going through the Forum & reading the problems & answers, the guys on here have 1 whole lot of knowledge / experience and you'll be surprised how much you can learn.

Andy

In the meantime spend some time going through the Forum & reading the problems & answers, the guys on here have 1 whole lot of knowledge / experience and you'll be surprised how much you can learn.

Oh I do that plenty! Worst bit is when someone describes a scenario they've found or even worse, posts a picture and declares, Wow, look here, what do you think of this! And I'm thinking... um... that's something bad then, yeah..?

Reply to Is this pay standard? Good? Appalling? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net