Discuss Jobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

j.capes

Hi everyone,

I've recently gained many electrical qualifications and am currently waiting for the results on my 2391 theory! I have part p, basic electrical training and 17th edition. I am not currently an electrician but am wanting to move into this trade (hopefully in the inspection and testing field). Because I don't work in the trade, my main problem is the experience, not the qualifications. I have little time off from my full time job and trying to get experience, to then have the confidence etc to apply for jobs. What would any of you suggest? Even though I understand quite a bit from doing my courses there is still quite a big gap in my knowledge which I'm trying to fill. Even working for free to get experience and contacts!!!!! Can anyone please offer any advice or help in your company or know anyone who is good for me to shadow just to help me out with my career change. Any help much appreciated and please get in touch. Thank you

You didn't say where you were!

Also you say "basic electrical training"..
2330? or 5 day course

Just wondering what type of work experience your looking for Domestic or bigger stuff??

Last edited:
I live in Wimbledon, so basically available to work most places in London. The basic qualification I got was the equilivent of the 2330 (one day a week) for about two years, which was from EAL. Like I said I would like to get into inspection and testing ideally but domestic work by itself or the two combined would both be great experience for me. Like I said I am waiting on the 2391 theory but have passed the practical so know what I'm doing to a small extent! If you know anyone who sounds like I could get some good experience from and also work for free this would be much apreachited.

You'll struggle with Inspection and Testing as a career as a newbie into the trade. You need to get lots of experience under your belt. However, good luck to you, and when you come back to this forum with all your questions once embarked on this enterprise then these words of advice will come ringing true.

Like the others had said you need lots of experience so you can diagnose the fault. Ive been in the trade a fair while now and i had one yesterday which took me quite a while to diagnose. I was getting an IR reading of 3MOhms from the Line Conductor of the ring main to the cpc of any circuit. after a few hours fault finding found it was an earth leakage path through the platerboard walls! If I didn't have much experience i would of given up when i couldn't find it right away.

Good Luck!

Good luck JCapes, as others have said getting work in T&I will be difficult without experience, and there are a lot of very experienced people out there who for that reason will be almost always be in front of you in the queue.

I dont wish to put you off, or put you down, but as difficult as the 2391 course is (and i sincerely hope you pass it), it doesn't bear much resemblance to testing in the real world. On the 2391 as you know you can see every part of the installation on the test rig, and it is not in a fault scenario, you are testing a fully functional training aid on which you prove you are competent. In a seven storey guest house with 15 rooms, plus bathrooms etc etc etc, 4 distribution boards, 3 phase incomer, and 99% of the installation not visible, then this is a whole different ballgame when you start to reveal problems and faults, this is where the experience and knowledge kick in.

Cheers.........Howard

Reply to Jobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net