Discuss Just Finished june 14 2391 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Was an interesting evening with the new assessment.

Questions seemed very BS 7671 in my opinion, far more than you usually get.

The national pass rate should go up a bit with this one.

I did this one tonight. Am quietly confident it went ok. Different format- giving answers on the question paper. But most of the questions were straight forward. Very little of relevance to the scenario - I struggled to make reference to it in my answers. Did get a few questions wrong - e.g. volt drop, but that is my own fault for skipping over the subject. Listing five potential faults on a visual of the distribution board was the most challenging question - particularly as they wanted the nature of the fault given. IP ratings - again, not done my homework thoroughly enough, but think I got most of them right. The calculations were pretty straightforward - nothing tricky there.

Surprised how easy it was really, the past papers going back a few years were much more difficult, they have got progressively easier in my opinion.

I did mess up in this exam though, I was told to be wary of the time, as you might not have enough time to finish. I flew through it, then realised I had so much time left. I went over my answers, and could of elaborated more in my answers, but it would of meant having to tipp-ex the majority of what I wrote.

Although I thought in general the test was easier than any before, I had a bad day and my brain went blank. I think I might have failed.

Here are some of the questions(Not word for word, just from what I can remember):

*No charts or diagrams provided by client, what 2 other documents could you receive from the client?

*Checking polarity on an Edison Screw Lampholder, what would you check for?

*Listed in EAWR 1989. 3 Practical steps of work activities that would prevent rise to danger?

Still hungover from drinking after exam, will look these answers up later.

Do they ever state the pass mark for the exam, or just the percentage pass rate? Any idea what the pass mark would be?

Also, do they mark on answers word for word out of book, or is it your interpretation?

Do they ever state the pass mark for the exam, or just the percentage pass rate? Any idea what the pass mark would be?

Also, do they mark on answers word for word out of book, or is it your interpretation?

The pass mark is not given but is considered to be about 70%, this will vary if it was an easy exam then the pass mark will rise. Once they have the results the pass mark is tagged from a bell curve.

Answers will need to have specific information in them, depending on the question, but they are generally looking for understanding of what is written, answering what is asked and correct terminology. The marks will be awarded for the correct inclusion of the information requested. Miss-spellings and bad hand writing are not a factor (so long as it is readable and comprehensible.

Hey, having studied like I've never studied before I found the exam pretty straight forward.

After looking at many past papers and example questions I found none of the really tricky questions coming up except maybe Volt Drop and specifics on IP rating. Thankfully these ones were in the Part A section and I'll have only dropped a few marks, hopefully.

I finished a bit early and preceded to look over the paper and changed 3 or 4 answers as I wasn't happy, just as well I did as I checked later and all the ones I changed, I got right.

Hopefully I've done enough and now just have to prepare for the practical exam whenever that will be.

Thanks Richard Burns. Was hoping to work out if I passed from previous test papers.

Ringer, I also found that the scenario was not used that much. Nothing out of the norm, that was designed to catch you out, from what I could tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also took exam last night goin fairly easy apart from got abit lost on departures from bs7671 for within distribution board I put
Missing labels
-next time date
Connection of conductors
-poorly terminated cables
Missing charts diagrams or tables
- every distribution board should have a chart diagram or table located within or adjacent
Selection of protective devices
- that devices are selected correctly for overload and fault protection

But think I got completely miss lead what you guys do?
Cheers

Hey Glenn

I was a bit confused about that one, left it to the end and wrote a speel.
If I remember correctly I wrote.
-Cable sizes to big for terminals
-Holes on front of DB incorrect size for IP rating
-too much copper showing at termination, insulation cut back too much
-busbar missing protective cover if relevant
-cpc and neutral cables in the incorrect order on their relevant terminal blocks in relation to the order of the CBs.

Probably all wrong but we'll see.

Not great on the deviations question.

Presence of Protective conductors - check to see if there are any missing circuit protective conductors.
Identification of conductors - verify all conductors have identification and are colour coded
Cable Current Rating - verify all circuits have the correct current carrying capacity for intended use.
Presence of warning notices - Any voltage differences, RCD has intergral test device notice saying test quarterly(not a good answer).

Can't think what else I put for that. My answers are not word for word out of GN3, I am hoping it is good enough.

Ahh yes i put that I put blanks missing
- doesn't comply with ip2x
I left it to the end to apart from that I found the other questions fairly straight forward but worried if I lost all 15 marks on that one plus a few others in places might not of done enough :/
The thing that got me was on the test forms where it states departures from bs7671 you wouldn't write that in there so confused

Billy all your answers sound better than my answers! All I'm really hoping for on that question is to srape a few marks but thinking looks like a 0

May have a problem with some of the answers above if the question is talking about inspection within the board as would not expect to see the mentioned labels there, other than that cant see much wrong

I think the opposite Glen (sorry I got the name wrong, I should quote, I am still drunk), I think the question was "practical" things you were looking for, giving examples. I am not sure I did that for everyone. I tried to state word for word out of GN3. I hope I will still get marks for it.

Some other questions and stupid things that I did wrong are flooding back to me.

State 3 services that would be connected to bonding? (not word for word)

Metal Gas Pipe, Metal Water Pipe, and my mind went blank.

Two methods for determining Voltage Drop?

Argh...Calculation and Direct measurement.

3 methods of achieving compliance if Zs do not comply?

Increase CSA of conductors
Increase rating of protective device
Additional protection by 30mA RCD ???

Draw a TN-C-S earthing system, earth fault loop path for the lighting circuit.

I drew the generic earth fault loop path diagrams for a load, but added a lighting circuit to it. The thing that gets me is the generic drawing you find everywhere does not show the circuit breaker operating, so I hope that is fine. I also (trying not to swear) missed out the supply earth electrode, I only put the additional one, how I messed that up, I just had a bad day.

There was also 2 calculations if I remember right. One was m ohms/m and other R1+R2. Was the R1+R2 a ring circuit?

Reply to Just Finished june 14 2391 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net