Discuss LABC or Registered body in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BristolSpark

Alot of people are gonna say joining a registered body (NICEIC) is the way forward whether domestic or commercial. Which I would also agree. I would assume it would add weight when applying for various jobs in the commercial sector, but I hear it is not a requirement to be registered in this sector. You only need to be registered when doing domestic.

Can anyone explain the processes, costs involved and the implications of using the LABC.

Do they come out at each stage of the job if so what are the costs per visit.

Do they inspect, test and certificate. Or do you end up certificating after they have inspected and tested.

what happens in terms of cost on whether you informed them of a £50 additional socket senario or a house rewire. How do they charge you ect....

Does anyone have any response to this.

Before I got my registration I checked with them as to cost. Their position was that after the work was completed they wooud get an electrician to certify the installation. The cost depended on the original cost of the installation but in any case would be a minimum of £200. (BTW I think they were a little taken aback that anybody had actually called to enquire, so their responce may not be typical)

You'l know from other threads that Part P does not call for the competent person to be registered for a permited extension (unless in a kitchen) so the £50 example might not apply very often. Its just a question of how you would demonstrate that you were competent.

PS. I'll come to Bristol and do a MEIWC for £200 for you any day!

Last edited:
So if a client has been granted permission for the extension by building control. A qualified electrician with 2391 regardless of being registered under part P or an approved status with NICEIC can do the electrics. Or have I miss read what you wrote.

You'l know from other threads that Part P does not call for the competent person to be registered for a permited extension (unless in a kitchen) so the £50 example might not apply very often. Its just a question of how you would demonstrate that you were competent.

So if I was to do an installation on a double storey extension for like i dont know £800. And I am not part p or approved by any scheme where does that put you in representation of I am qualified and competent.

cheers m8

Reply to LABC or Registered body in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net