Discuss Lap Batten Fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Using a lot of LAP batten led lights which only have L+N connections.
They do have them at either end.
Question is, when daisy chaining the lights there will be no earth continuity from light to light so what is the best way around this .

What do you mean they have them at either end.
Either end if the fitting has a push fit connector for the L and N conductor but no earth required. As the fitting is symetrical and just clips in and out of the brackets this means it can only be to daisy chain fittings.
I have done this and all work perfectly but now earth is terminated at the first fitting leaving unearth flex to 2nd, 3rd and so on.

I loathe these fittings, there is no space in the back for the cables to enter so they terminate through a stuffing gland in the end. As such either end has a L+N connection but no facility to continue the cpc, absolute nightmare! Last time a customer gave me some to wire in replacement of existing batten fittings I told them to take them back to poofix!

I fitted some of these at my fathers house as they are cheap, the loop through function isn't great unless you are just running flexes between fittings, I wired in steel conduit and each light had its own plug in ceiling rose. so it wasn't an issue. I wouldn't feel happy fitting them at work, and certainly wouldn't recommend them, or buy them again. I wouldn't recommend connecting t+e to them either.

Interesting thread, this one.
I have a garage/store to put new lighting circuit in. I was put off some of the battens due to the end-to-end connectors and lack of CPC continuity provision, also I would really prefer a batten with a rear entry option to loop in and out, so if anyone can suggest such a model I would be grateful. I have 2 options:
1. Use the existing metal conduit, which has fairly recent cabling at each of the 4 light fittings, and attach battens via the current round fittings, drilling the back of the battens to suit so I can bolt to the boxes
2. Run a completely new lighting circuit and make-up mounting points for the new battens to fix them to the steel beams that the old conduit is fixed to.
This isn't a big project, so cost is not really an issue.
I'm considering using QuikWire connectors to make it easy, and to avoid daisy-chaining the fittings. I've used them before and they worked fine. This would be more of a "spider" installation, but would bring the CPC to each light fitting (there will only be 4 of them) and if nowhere to park the CPC I could simply bring the CPC into the batten body and terminate it in a 2 way Wago with the option to carry on to any extra battens if required.
Alternatively, I can daisy-chain with the QuikWires, carrying the CPC from point to point...I haven't really decide yet.
Thus, i suppose my question is, what battens will let me use rear entry positions so i can fis as required and carry CPC all the way? What I want to avoid is those awful "plug together, end to end" fittings with no CPC provision.

I know Cef aren't the cheapest but their tamilte battens have removable cover and plenty of space for rear entry cables, I have found the holes line up with the majority of old fluorescent fittings. They have a good output and so far seem very reliable!
Cef do other makes with similar clip in led front covers, so there are plenty of them on their site to choose from.
Sy

Thank you all for these suggestions.
Many to choose from, but I will do a final site survey and make a decision then.
That'll be in about 6 weeks from now, but I will report back on what I chose and how the installation went.
I'll try to get a few pics too, but I ain't no Bundy/Jordan/Savery...albeit my language and drinking habits are probably closer to the last-named...

Any more batten suggestions appreciated! As I said, this isn't a budget job, so I might buy 2 or 3 types and compare them.

When we do this type of thing (and if there isn't a Klick connector there) we use Click-Flo connectors (space for more than one cable)

flow-1.jpg

The moral of the story is never buy LAP. It's honestly one of the worst and poorest quality brands I've ever came across, designed by people that know nothing about how they should be installed. In your case, it might be best to use plug in ceiling roses or click couplers to connect your light to ensure you keep an earth at each point

I came across some LAP downlights that had the same issue.
No room for a CPC connection, not even a low profile Wago.
The way they were constructed it was actually physically impossible to connect the CPC's within the fitting.

Reply to Lap Batten Fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net