Discuss Lighting Circuit Nuetrals in Domestic Light Switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barrie Patrick

Its been many years since I passed my Apprenticeship and was active on the tools and although a little rusty, (the last training I did was a familiarisation course and an Inspection & Testing Course when the 17th Edition of the IEE Regs replaced the 16th Edition, 1988?) I think I am still a decent Electrician and good Tradesman so can still tell whats right and wrong but as so much has changed in the industry there can always be a little doubt in the back of your mind and I would like a couple of questions confirming?

I recently went to my Neices birthday party at their new house and one of my nephews said the 2 way lighting on the upstairs landing wasn't working and could I have a quick look rather than get myy neices friends, girlfriends brother, who had changed their Consumer Unit and wired up their garage to come again and sort it, I had a look and quickly found it was wrongly connected making 1 switch master to the other so I put it right. My neice was that proud of her new home she showed me round, we went to the garage and alarm bells started to go off, it has 3 lights controlled from a 2 gang light switch by the door, the lighting is wired in white 1.5mm 3 core and earth badly clipped with unevenly spaced clips of varying types and sizes and the switch box is very deep, looks crap but not necesarily unsafe, however there are 4 individual 3 core cables hanging down the wall unclipped and going into the switch box. I took off the cover and in the back were connectors for the 4 nuetrals (black) and 4 earths (Green/Yellow sleeved), the browns were the live feed in, loop to the next room that was built in the back of the garage and the 2 switch wires and the greys had all been cut off, so I took off the switch in the little room and the nuetral was also wired through the switch.

I looked at the Consumer Unit and it looked nicely done but no notices or circuit information given, only the ring main cables for downstairs were to short and the cables had been extended using proper joint boxes fixed to the wall underneath the new CU However no evidance of testing.

My questions are, and I already know the answer:

1) Its not in accordance with the BS 7671 or good practice to wire nuetrals through a switch, unless a double pole switch is used and certainly bad practice to use a connector pushed into the back of the box for the nuetrals and earth?

2) Lighting should be wired using the 3 plate system, no nuetrals at switches?

3) Under the Building regs the work is notifiable and the whole installation should be tested?

Barrie

there.s nowt wrong with neutals blocked at switches. tbh, i think you are out of your depth hre.andthe 16th did not come into effect till 1991. the 17th in 2008.

Last edited:
Common thing now neutral in switches, and much better than trying to cram god knows how many wires into a crappy light fitting whilst on a stepladder. Where do you think BS7671 says it is wrong? Daz

Last edited:
Hi Telectrix,
Firstly, thank you for taking the trouble to let me know that it is now permisable to wire nuetrals through light switches, personally i think its a retrograde step but I do know things have changed since I was last employed as an Electrician so I thank you and bow to your more up to date knowledge. During my working life I have always had an open mind and been willing to learn new things, as I think we all should, thats why I sought advice from others here who I believe are more up to date and qualified. I also thank you for correcting me on the dates when various editions of the IEE/IET Regs came into force, Barrie

Hi DPG,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question about neutrals in light switches, as already mentioned in a previous reply I personally think its a retrograde step to bring neutrals into a light switch box and through connect them to a connector taped and pushed into the back but things do change and we can all learn something new and I stand corrected. In regards to cramming God knows how many wires into a crappy light fitting while on a step ladder I'd say " please dont use crappy light fittings and plan the wiring so you dont have too many wires at one lighting point" LOL

I think if you saw the example I mentioned in my original post of 4 x 3 core and earth cables going into a much deeper box than would be necessary had 2 x twin and earth or 1 x 3 core and earth been run using the 3 plate lighting meathod you might think working off a step ladder was not so bad?

Barrie

My questions are, and I already know the answer:

1) Its not in accordance with the BS 7671 or good practice to wire nuetrals through a switch, unless a double pole switch is used and certainly bad practice to use a connector pushed into the back of the box for the nuetrals and earth?

2) Lighting should be wired using the 3 plate system, no nuetrals at switches?

3) Under the Building regs the work is notifiable and the whole installation should be tested?

Barrie

1) Nought wrong with neutrals at switches, why would there be? Nought wrong with terminating them (and earths) in suitable connectors in said back boxes
2) What ever is a suitable design, for the luminaires installed.
3) New circuits, consumer units & alteration/additions in Zones 1&2 in special location, are notifiable to LBC

What were your answers to your questions?

Hi Barrie. A good example of not using the '3 plate' method, would be when installing downlights. That would involve taking a live/neutral to the switch. The method you speak of, is still used, but as I said before the design of the circuit is adapted to the type of luminaires installed.

Hi Again DPG,

Sorry I forgot to mention in my first reply to your answer, where/why I thought the 17th Ed (BS7671) might state its wrong to run neutrals through light switches, the truth is I dont know if it does but when my new copy arrives I'll look, hense why I asked here.

However I do recall when studying at Matthew Boulton Tech for my Cert b C&G in the early 1970s we were taught it was wrong, unfortunately I dont own a copy of the 14th ed any more so cannot qoute the reg.

Yes that was the 14th Edition of the IEE Regs LOL Dont worry I have used the 15th and 16th Editions and know there is something called the 17th LOL

Barrie

Hi Barrie. A good example of not using the '3 plate' method, would be when installing downlights. That would involve taking a live/neutral to the switch. The method you speak of, is still used, but as I said before the design of the circuit is adapted to the type of luminaires installed.
That said your description of how the lighting circuits have been installed in your nieces garage, sounds like bit of a dogs dinner.

Hi Midwest,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. My answers to the questions I posed are/were,
1) Nuetrals shouldn't be run through lighting switch boxes or terminated there, I say this because back in the days of himself and the 12 apostles when I was learning my trade it was not allowed and also considered bad practice, but I do understand things change hense why I asked here.
2) Although I've always used 3 plate meathod when using twin and earth for lighting I do know and have indeed used variations as the need has required (suitable design) but always taken care never to put a neutral in a switch box, now I know its permisable its something I would consider if ever called upon to design and install a lighting circuit.
3) I would have said exactly the same as you, I got this from the guides I bought for Electricians and Inspection and testing.

I know my knowledge is out of date and as i now have lots of free time I am considering paying to go back to college to up date my knowledge and qualifications, even though I'll probably never use them in a commercial sense again............. To Old to be competative LOL

Barrie

Hi Again Midwest,

I have installed some down lighting fited with cold running LED's in my kitchen and utility room and downstairs toilet using the existing 3 plate lighting system, I just used a junction box to create the lighting point in each room then looped the switched live and perminant neutral and earth (cpc) from light to light, it all went in very nicely.............. Please dont tell me there is now a Reg that says I should have switched the neutral LOL

Barrie

Hi Midwest,

I think 'Dog Dinner' sums up what I felt when I first saw it :-9

As I said I do realise my knowledge is probably out of date but I do now and always have enjoyed being an Electrician and even though I'm now "Old and Wrinkly and retired2 I do think I'd like to go back and take a couple of courses to bring me back up to date, especially testing and Inspection ;-)

Barrie

Hi Again Midwest,

I have installed some down lighting fited with cold running LED's in my kitchen and utility room and downstairs toilet using the existing 3 plate lighting system, I just used a junction box to create the lighting point in each room then looped the switched live and perminant neutral and earth (cpc) from light to light, it all went in very nicely.............. Please dont tell me there is now a Reg that says I should have switched the neutral LOL

Barrie
....No, but there is a reg(526.3) that states all joint/junction boxes need to be accessible or be of the maintenance free type! Are yours? Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Hi,

I can see where you are coming from Barrie, when I did my apprenticeship I would of been slated if I had run neutrals through switches ; it was a definite No No. Same as running any circuit through a DB, but times have changed especially with the advent of downlights ( we only ever had pendants or florries back in the day). I have been doing some work on my place on the upstairs lighting and I still use the old JB04 method, not everyone's cup of tea; but does it for me.

Regards.

Reply to Lighting Circuit Nuetrals in Domestic Light Switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net