Discuss Lighting fault plz help!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paul_sut

Hi there just wondering if any one has had anything similar to this. Got a lighting fault it trips every so often there 3 down lights, 1 oside light, 1 flouresent on circuit ive replaced out side light taken all transformers of down light and put temp pendend in there and flo looks fine everything on circuit looks fine but mcb keeps tripping wen it feels like it could it be faulty mcb. No recent diy work, it even tripped wen no lights were turned on. Please any help very grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
intermittent fault on cable/s or fitting . faulty MCB?

The mcb wouldnt reset if it was damaged cable would it?? I didnt have tester with me so unable to do ir test gonna have to go back.

Testing the cable would be where I would start, if all checks out fine then change the MCB. However if you have a spare MCB you could always try this first. I would be going down the testing route tho, I hate leaving a problem until I know whats caused it and why

I wouldn't rule out faulty mcb but in my experience its rare, think ive had 2 in 20yrs, a damaged cable can have low insulation value or damp in joint somewhere or even a choke in fitting on its way out ... these are examples of faults that can cause intermittent tripping and even let you reset the mcb. Id do a full test throughout circuit at all outlets as oppose to wasting money and time replacing each fitting.

Ive just given a few reasons its really for you to test and trace now... other examples are a trapped cable that faults as someone walks on a certain floorboard, or a joint getting wet when it rains, flourescent control gear could have a faulty choke that shorts only when it gets hot enough so wont trip if on a short duration, seriously the causes are plentiful and they are all shots in the dark, if you have another mcb in board same rating then swap them over this will tell you if mcb is suspect but with regards to telling you whats causing it ..we cant, if i get this fault myself i check with times, dates weather etc see if anything jumps out but other than visual on o/s lights etc id carry out the appropriate tests or you could be going back and forward a long time.

Any recent works on floorboards/loft work/plumbing etc? Are all cable terminations correct and tight? Signs of overheating or other damage to switches etc? The list could get endless.

Wow never seen so many clever dicks!!! But Many thanks to the ones mature enough to reply to me properly i will take on all your advice i was just asking for simple advice from some of you more experienced electricians.

Reply to Lighting fault plz help!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net