Discuss Lightswitch issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mo7

-
DIY
Reaction score
Family member having this problem.

Upstairs and downstairs are on different circuits.

Every now and then you put the light on at the switch and the bulb will blow and the fuse board switch trips - easily solved by a new lightbulb - but this happens maybe once every 3-4 weeks.

Today in the kitchen the bulbs went but when we put new bulbs in nothing happens - I suspect the switch is broken now (fuse gone?)

Anyone have a view on what the actual problem may be?

Issue seems to be happening across 4 different rooms at least. 2 up and 2 down.

^^^^Agree it will probably be cheap Lamps as advised get a quality LAMP not bulb unless you're a keen gardener.

Loose connections. I've had this at least twice in my relatively short time in the business. Customer complains of lamps blowing after only a week or so, or even less. I tighten all the connections on the circuit. Problem solved, and with the same lamps. I'd caution against advising them to spend a fortune on LEDs until you've checked for an underlying fault like this, especially as you say one light has stopped working all together now.

Just to clarify I'm not against spending money on LEDs. Just not if they are going to end up being wrecked.

Last edited:
Could be cheap lamps. Could be the hooks that hold the lamp in are wearing down and not holding the lamps in tight (usually happens with the plastic bayonet cap lamp holders). LED is the way to go though.

I have replaced the light switch now and the light in the ktichen works.

The bulbs were not the cheapest of the cheap but they were the old style bulbs. I have bought some spare 'halogen savers' for now.

As post above says, I am not rising a £13 LED - just incase.

Could be worth replacing the bog standard bayonets though just to be sure?

I think Selfmade has a valid point,if they are blowing regularly,and reliably,a check of other causes other than lamp quality,may be prudent. The inoperative switch may be coincidental,but would be a prompt,to look deeper. :icon12:

If the lamps pop with a ping when you turn them on and trips the breaker or blows the fuse wire then this is normal, if it effect various lamps in various fitting then almost certainly cheap lamps or rough handled branded lamps... if you purchase your lamps and let them rattle in a bag it can tangle the tunsten filament up and reduce lamp life drastically.

If its only at one point the lamps are routinely blowing then again could be replacing cheap lamps with cheap lamps making it look like its repeatedly at one point, it could also be as suggested the fitting has duff or poor lamp contacts.

The only other area to consider is your house incoming supply has a higher than normal voltage which reduces lamp life.

So cheapest option is to replace with known quality lamps and treat them with care bringing them home, no jogging or bouncing on the car seat.

Reply to Lightswitch issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net