Discuss Lost power but NO RCBO tripped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1) Mrs turned the iron, but no light, so I thought the switch was off, went to turn it on, but it was on You'll be surprised what they will do to get out of doing the housework :p
2) Kids coming running in saying wifi isnt working This is actually a great way of finding out how many kids are in the house

Not that I know much but have you tried the iron since?
Lol - just after I wrote that post ?

What else was running? obviously the wifi :D and the computers outside, tumble drier, washing machine, dishwasher, undersink heaters?

I'm with the other poster and turning it into a full on interrogation :laughing:

Do you have Gas central heating ?
( is it a normal family situation , or have a few Xmas visitors taken fan heaters into the loft ! )
Your meter will probably have "Clues" of any usage spikes !

What else was running? obviously the wifi :D and the computers outside, tumble drier, washing machine, dishwasher, undersink heaters?

I'm with the other poster and turning it into a full on interrogation :laughing:
? just thought all this information was required ?
[automerge]1577493482[/automerge]
Do you have Gas central heating ?
( is it a normal family situation , or have a few Xmas visitors taken fan heaters into the loft ! )
Your meter will probably have "Clues" of any usage spikes !
Central heating was running (to be honest have it running 24/7 currently)

Just my family no guest it was around 10am so too early for anyone to pop round. Absolutely no electric heaters.

In terms of electric usage nothing out of the ordinary

Torque Talk: Electrical Connections and Torque Requirements - https://www.e-hazard.com/blog/electrical-connections-and-torque-requirements/

My money is on the cause cited by DPG and Wilko - under torqued screws making the connections on the line and neutral supply between the Henley and the busbars of the domestic CU. This coupled with a phenomenon know as wetting current - the minimum current necessary to maintain a conductive path between touching metal surfaces.

One might think there is plenty of surface contact between say a 16 or 25 mm2 cables and the inner connection surfaces. But when one considers the cross-sectional geometry of the stranded cable and how it touches the inside of the connection it is often the case that there is insufficient conducting surface area and what is touching has little mechanical pressure. This allows air to to oxidise the touching surfaces over time further reducing the net conductance of the connection and promoting problems due to a raised minimum wetting current.

The way to avoid this problem is to make clean connections and use the proper torque screwdriver to tighten up the screws/bolts. And to check the torque a little while later after the copper has deformed/flowed from the pressure on it after the first torque down. The manufacturer details the required torque. And then to have a periodic check on them.

The almost universal absence of cable clamps of meter tails means all the stress of cable movement is borne at the terminals which undermines the goodness of the original connection even if torqued correctly. (This was a NICEIC pick up point for the electrician who used our home rewire as his exhibition installation - the tails are now clamped and not left floating in the air.)

See page 48 of 52:
https://www.wylexreasons.co.uk/Content/pdf/Wylex DCP catalogue Feb 2018.pdf

For some other makes:

http://www.elecsa.co.uk/documents/c...l-downloads/manufacturer-torque-settings.aspx

Wilko can say more about his Gucchi torque screwdriver which is perfect for most CUs and ideal Christmas present to oneself.

Attachments

• contact resistance.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
…..are we on the correct thread, Pete?
[automerge]1577573868[/automerge]

That switch fuse is OK, though.;)
Was responding to the expensive screwdriver thread, did make me wonder though, lol

Did you get this problem sorted? I would say that the main switch is being overloaded by the loads of the various circuits you have, rcbo will trip on either neutral/earth fault or overload of specific circuit but main switch will add all loads together. Does it happen more when the ev is charging?

Hineslty, I just got busy with other stuff (as this was complete renovation), I totally forgot about it. Been on my list but never got round to it.

I haven’t had any issues since and I haven’t done anything. So finger crossed ?

Did you get this problem sorted? I would say that the main switch is being overloaded by the loads of the various circuits you have, rcbo will trip on either neutral/earth fault or overload of specific circuit but main switch will add all loads together. Does it happen more when the ev is charging?

Reply to Lost power but NO RCBO tripped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net