Discuss Maximum Zs values for BS3871 in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
Where can I find the max Z's value for a BS3871, type 3, 32A MCB?

Iv had a look through BS7671 and done some searching online but I cannot find it. IV found some tables with listed Zs values for a 3871 but I have no idea where they originate from or how old

T

The Ghost

This is from the Unite guide, a great little pocket book. Much the same as OSG except it is £7.IMG_4521.JPG

OP
gazdkw82

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
Those 2 references contradict each other? The unite guide says it's 0.719 and the other chart says 0.58??

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Don't forget to adjust for Cmin... (0.95)

T

The Ghost

And bear in mind they are adjusted values for 230v instead of 240v.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
You would need to look in a 16th Ed to find them as I said they were the same Table as a type C.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
It's not required. It asks for the max Zs values listed in BS7671.
But the tables for BS3871 are not listed within BS7671 which already have Cmin applied as of the 17th Amdt 3.

So to ensure the circuit complies with current regulations you would have to apply Cmin and then 80% to take into account thermal compensation.

How is Cmin applicable to any works you carry out on an existing circuit?

OP
gazdkw82

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
But the tables for BS3871 are not listed within BS7671 which already have Cmin applied as of the 17th Amdt 3.

So to ensure the circuit complies with current regulations you would have to apply Cmin and then 80% to take into account thermal compensation.

How is Cmin applicable to any works you carry out on an existing circuit?
Bs7671 does not have the rule of thumb applied. Onsite guide does. The minor works is asking for values from BS7671, therefore it's asking for values without the rule of thumb applied.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Bs7671 does not have the rule of thumb applied. Onsite guide does. The minor works is asking for values from BS7671, therefore it's asking for values without the rule of thumb applied.
I'm not talking about the rule of thumb, I'm talking about Cmin.

Strima

Electrician's Arms

Strima

Electrician's Arms
With most faults on an installation, the current is proportional to the supply voltage.

The intention of using Cmin when calculating the allowed loop impedance, is to ensure that sufficient fault current is available for the protective devices to operate within the required disconnection times at the minimum voltage the DNO is allowed to deliver - currently 6% below nominal.

OP
gazdkw82

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
I spoke with guardian today. They informed me that R1+R2 must be taken from the point of circuit origin.

I have emailed all higher management/technicians and informed them that this is the standard requirement for testing.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • Black

Votes: 30 33.3%

Electrician Talk