Discuss Megger wind up tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
here:

$(KGrHqF,!nUFH9gt0CmWBS!BoOQScg~~60_58.jpg

It is, and it's a much more interesting kind of wind-up than many of the wind-up threads on the forum! Getting to the point, actually where is the point? I can't see the pointer, presumably it's there somewhere?

We'll have to do a 'My First Megger' show and tell. Who else has still got their first Megger or Multimeter?

It is, and it's a much more interesting kind of wind-up than many of the wind-up threads on the forum! Getting to the point, actually where is the point? I can't see the pointer, presumably it's there somewhere?

We'll have to do a 'My First Megger' show and tell. Who else has still got their first Megger or Multimeter?

Got one stuck away in the stores somewhere.
Been around for quite a while, mate.

The megger shown was state of the art technology in 1976 when I started my apprenticeship. My first introduction to the megger was "hold this son while we test these cables" and yes you only get caught with that one once.

Ben

The megger shown was state of the art technology in 1976 when I started my apprenticeship. My first introduction to the megger was "hold this son while we test these cables" and yes you only get caught with that one once.

Ben

Yep me to hold on tight to the 2 ends son as we can measure the resistance through your body then deduct it from the totat to find the actual lol

Using the Megger always required precise teamwork
The operator crocodile clipping the wires to the victims ears had to be so in tune with the handle operator, neither noise nor movement was to cause caution in the mind of said victim

Back in the good old days when electricity still had some magic in it, you could get 'magneto-electric machines' for curing all diseases known to man and a lot of others besides. Apart from not having a meter and producing spiky AC instead of DC, using one is rather like holding the probes of a Megger and turning the handle. 350V p-p I have measured from one of these - lucky the current is very limited.

Magneto Electric machine.jpg

I have an ex-colliery one - the case is all metal and it's quite a bit bigger than the bakelite cased ones.

One day, I may learn how to use it .............

Thats the type I had in mind,I used to own one but it disappeared somehow,somewhere
It probably somehow ended up in the possession of someone who may never have used that little gem
icon6.png

Thats the type I had in mind,I used to own one but it disappeared somehow,somewhere
It probably somehow ended up in the possession of someone who may never have used that little gem
icon6.png

This one fell off the back of an NCB lorry as it came through the gates of a colliery nearby.

Reply to Megger wind up tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net