Discuss MICC/PYRO advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't know about you, but I used to take pride in first fixing cables of all sorts, making sure they were clipped nice, entering the enclosure properly, nice an neat, now slap it in know matter, as long as it tests OK and it works, it will be OK, what has become of trafesmen and Women? all gone to pot, I know who I lay the blame on and you don't need me to explain that do you?
….and the fact that testing has been carried out, when it is, shows that it's been someone who should know better. Plenty couldn't care less....or don't know any better.
Ah! Stop moanin'! T*at's life, I suppose.

Last edited:
….and the fact that testing has been carried out, when it is, shows that it's been someone who should know better. Plenty couldn't care less....or don't know any better.
Ah! Stop moanin'! T*at's life, I suppose.
And therein lies the crux of the problems!!!!!

The number of swa lash ups these days has gone through the roof.
It seems to be every other time I come across some. If they can't terminate the armour correctly it's slice a shroud because they've forgotten it.

I see regularly swa terminated via a plastic stuffing gland with all the wire strands just completely cut off at both ends and just the inner cores shoved up the plastic gland....rough as you like but if the new lot aren't shown how to fit a proper swa gland they won't bother

I see regularly swa terminated via a plastic stuffing gland with all the wire strands just completely cut off at both ends and just the inner cores shoved up the plastic gland....rough as you like but if the new lot aren't shown how to fit a proper swa gland they won't bother
I saw that with twenty odd bollard lights, on a long driveway to a club, not long ago. No stuffers, though, just swa's taped together in the chassis. It's disgraceful and total ignorance. Only found out after a couple had been flattened by parking experts.

I saw that with twenty odd bollard lights, on a long driveway to a club, not long ago. No stuffers, though, just swa's taped together in the chassis. It's disgraceful and total ignorance. Only found out after a couple had been flattened by parking experts.

If the person doing the job isn’t going to even bother using the armour and cuts it all off , wouldn’t it be better just to use hi-tiff or even rubber flex...

If the person doing the job isn’t going to even bother using the armour and cuts it all off , wouldn’t it be better just to use hi-tiff or even rubber flex...
It's all run underground. If in pipe or duct, I've no problem with Hi-tuff...…..but 300m of rubber flex?..... Do me a favour.:confused:

There is an argument to be made for H07-RNF in this case, the neoprene outer sheath is probably more suitable for a duct that may end up full of water than either hi tuff or swa
If it’s up to standard, fair enough but in this situation with such a long run...and I’m not even sure it’s in plastic pipe, I think I’d be going with swa, installed correctly.

If it’s up to standard, fair enough but in this situation with such a long run...and I’m not even sure it’s in plastic pipe, I think I’d be going with swa, installed correctly.

How does length affect the type of cable used? Your post suggested that hi tuff would be ok in a duct but tough rubber flex wouldn't, which just doesn't make sense to me. The rubber flex is likely to have the best long term water resistance if the duct fills with water, better suited to pulling in to ducts and may have slightly better volt drop characteristics.
Yes if it isn't in any sort of containment then SWA would be the best choice.

How does length affect the type of cable used? Your post suggested that hi tuff would be ok in a duct but tough rubber flex wouldn't, which just doesn't make sense to me. The rubber flex is likely to have the best long term water resistance if the duct fills with water, better suited to pulling in to ducts and may have slightly better volt drop characteristics.
Yes if it isn't in any sort of containment then SWA would be the best choice.
Sorry for the lack of sense Dave, but I'm talking about this installation (situation). Whose to know how secure the system is. About 30 jointing points, all involving cables through concrete and tarmac into the fittings.....no chance of any slight damage? How easy a pull in?
In this situation, swa.
The lazy sods just saved time and cash, throwing the cable in without glanding.

Last edited:

Reply to MICC/PYRO advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock