Discuss need to fit a touch remote dimmer switch (2 gang) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bikerjodie

Should this be straight forward enough?

one of the controls, covers the hall and can be switched both upstairs and down, the other is for the bathroom!

is this an easy job?

Welcome to the forum.

The one to be switched from two locations will need a "slave" dimmer at the other location. You may or may not be able to do this, depending on the existing wiring.

thanks for the welcome, i know the wiring can accept this as it had the 2 way dimmer on it before but for some reason it burnt out and stopped working (not really in that order!!)

I've ordered the dimmer but someone said it's a pain in the buttocks to fit......

^^^^^^
Thanks
doesn't make a lot of sense to me but if i post pics could you help me?

This is what i'm going to fit (had one fitted a few years ago but it failed to work at some point and the tenant changed it to whats on it at the moment, one single light switch!)
IMG_0815.jpgIMG_0813.jpgIMG_0814.jpg

The slave (at the bottom of the stairs) hasn't been changed at all and has 2 black wires going into it, 1 in the "S" and one into the "Load", it then has 2 Lives (red) in the "L"
Here is a picture of what i want to change and it's current wiring
IMG_0812.jpgIMG_0811.jpg

the left button on the new switch is for the bathroom (dimmable) and the right is for the hall which has the slave at the bottom of the stairs, i fitted a switch like this a few years ago (i did it) but now cant remember what wires go where..... currently the blacks at the back are redundant but i know these are from the slave downstairs

Any help to get it all working properly would be fantastic

Is everyone as helpful as you?
Ideally would like a Glasgow based electrician to do this and my wireless thermostat but having already fitted one of these before with a little helpful assistance thought I would possibly attempt myself but can see youre protective of your knowledge!
Can anyone else other than Bugsy offer some helpful assistance please?

Oh dear it appears Ive upset you , problem is if I try to give you advice and your not qualified or doing an apprentiship an you go and kill yourself your nearest and dearest will proberly try to sue the forum!

Unfortunately from a distance we are unable to correctly identify which wire does what, since they may have been wired unconventionally in the first instance and the changes made when the switch was swapped could also affect how it is wired.

If we were to specify red goes in load for instance and the red was not correctly identified or connected this could cause danger.
The only way to be sure of which wire does what is to be there to test the cabling.
I would suggest that if you know which wire has which function then you follow the diagram in the instructions, if you do not know which wire does what then you would either need to test continuity for each wire to all lights and switches or ask someone else to do this for you and then follow the instructions with the new knowledge.

Reply to need to fit a touch remote dimmer switch (2 gang) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net