Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Neighbours supply cables running through the ceiling void. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

happyhippydad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have been to look at a rewire. The builders have pretty much taken the house apart and I have found the neighbours supply cables hanging above my customers ceiling.

The customers line supply cable comes into the top of the cutout and then another line supply comes out of the top and off to the neighbours. The neutral supply goes into a Henley and then has 2 further cables come out of it, one to the neighbours house and one to the customers meter. This is all going on inside the customers house.

My concern is the braided line and neutral cable feeding the neighbours house which runs through my customers ceiling. It has no protection whatsoever, be it mechanical, overload or earth. It doesnt have any form of isolation and its not even the customers.

Bit unsure what to do here. Is this normal for older properties. Should the DNO be called out to re-route the cable? What type of cable is it, It has a braid around it, does it have any kind of mechanical protection, certainly doesn't look like it? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures, not the greatest quality though.

cutout.jpg Supply cable above ceiling..jpg

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You've had an eventful day HHD ! :) As far as I can tell they look like very old cloth covered tails and I think the DNO should sort it out asap.

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can't see clearly but agree with Westward probably polybutyl jute cable. Some is still sound, some is getting brittle these days. Unlike VIR it was intended to be installed without containment, but perhaps not snaking around other peoples' houses. Not sure what the policy is with these gratuitously long looped services though.

Reply to Neighbours supply cables running through the ceiling void. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.