Discuss New to the forum, 100a main switch problem in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hence the reason I am here asking the right questions. The switch does not state which way the L and N should enter the switch! So if you ordered a new switch or parts separately how would you know which way to enter it????? There is nothing unprofessional about it
If Main Switch doesn't state this, how do you know that you have put them in the wrong way around as you seem to think?:confused1:

Hi,please don't get the 'ump,over a bit of deserved ribbing:)

What you have described,is the unnecessary re-configuring of a new DB,possibly out of MI,for the sake of a bit of 25...

We all have moments of stress and pressure,but i understand this is your own gaff? so,less of an excuse.

For example,if you were tight on an outgoing immersion circuit,would you pull the 3" back,and remount the SFU , 3" towards the DB?

Of course not,but your method of overcoming the original quandary,is along these lines.

I am going to take a wild,uninformed guess,that the reluctance to alter the tails,may,have something to do with where they connect,upstream...and i am prepared to apologise,if not so.

The opportunity to fit an isolator,and maybe even not need a tail stretch,seems missed,and if the case,would be recommended.

Even asking the question,regarding a reordering of DB components,without the other details,could have been more prudent,and avoided the replies received,mostly justified.

A come back,containing a "hands up",and a start again attitude,would erase these last thoughts,and i am giving you a "friendly",as a miniscule-virtual olive branch :)

Let's hope he posts up a pic maybe it was just a case of reconnecting some flexible links and not a busbar.

i'll rtake a shot and assume he has an easy9, where the main switch is with N closest to the RDCs/MCBs and the busbar is cranked behind N to the right terminal. this design was obviously by Stevie Wonder, assisted by Ray Charles. terrible idea.

360873FE-4DFF-42B7-B9DA-B6610466C06E.jpeg

29363CFB-BC6A-4FEA-8876-72C8F10841B6.jpeg

fit new tails.replace that damaged N - out cable, reconfigure to how it should be. as a trainee, we'll cut you some slack, but please concentrate on doing it right. good habits last a lifetime, bad habits shorten said lifetime.

Take Tel's advice. That should be reconfigured as it was. It's a pretty awful job, admittedly not helped by the choice of CU brand.

The replacement of a consumer unit also needs fully testing, a certificate producing, and notification to building control.

Thanks for coming back to update the thread. If you can take criticism on the chin and learn from it you'll learn a lot here.

Reply to New to the forum, 100a main switch problem in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net