Discuss NICEIC Contractor question in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, I would be very grateful for any advice. I am getting a new consumer unit fitted in my house and replacement lighting in my kitchen.

The contractor that will be doing the work for me is registered as a NICEIC Approved Contractor. It doesn't mention "Domestic Installer" against his name. I am just a bit worried as it says that it is important to get a "Domestic Installer" as it will comply with "Part P".

Will it be OK to proceed as normal as the electrician is an approved contractor which NICEIC states "covers all types of installations"

I live in Scotland in case that makes any difference.

Many Thanks for any help

Approved Contractors
NICEIC Approved Contractors are assessed to the highest standards covering all types of electrical contractors and installations.

Domestic Installer
Domestic Installers are contractors who do installation work in domestic properties. Use a Domestic Installer to comply with the requirements of Part P.

An approved contractor is a time served electrician that should have the ability to install your cu. They would have undergone 4 years of training and hold valuable qualifications in electrical competency.

A domestic installer is just a some bloke who suddenly thought he could be an electrician after a two week course!

Stick with the approved bloke and you should be fine.

An approved contractor is a time served electrician that should have the ability to install your cu. They would have undergone 4 years of training and hold valuable qualifications in electrical competency.

A domestic installer is just a some bloke who suddenly thought he could be an electrician after a two week course!

Stick with the approved bloke and you should be fine.
Thanks for the reply, it just that it says on the NICIEC website that "It is important to use a domestic installer" for domestic properties. That is confusing me, also I would be looking for installation certificates for the CU.

The NICEIC approved installer is able to carry out domestic,industrial,commercial...in fact all of the various types of electrics.They can also do PAT testing and inspect properties and most important for you ,they can write out the Electrical Installation Certificate when your consumer unit is changed.If you lived in England then they would also be able to notify Part 'P'.

Domestic installer is lower down the food chain:p:rolleyes:

The NICEIC approved installer is able to carry out domestic,industrial,commercial...in fact all of the various types of electrics.They can also do PAT testing and inspect properties and most important for you ,they can write out the Electrical Installation Certificate when your consumer unit is changed.If you lived in England then they would also be able to notify Part 'P'.

Domestic installer is lower down the food chain:p:rolleyes:
Thanks Bob

Reply to NICEIC Contractor question in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock