Discuss No cpc at light switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andysparky

Probably going over old ground here but I have assessment soon on this job, new consumer unit fitted completed R1+R2 test at light pendants all ok but two way light was found to have no cpc at light switches although does have earth at pendant what can i do for my assessment have read esc guidance notes and seen that can fit warning notice at consumer unit for this upstairs lighting circuit or do have to try and get cpc to these light switches and back to ceiling rose, all advice greatfully appreciated

IMHO you need to balance the regulations, the upheavel & cost to the customer and the safety of the customer.

The Electrical Safety Council leaflet covers the situations where there is no cpc on the lighting circuit thoroughly.

If the customer doesn't have any metal fittings or switches on the circuit I'd make a note on the EIC and stick the appropriate label on the CU.

Others may have conflicting ideas!

agreed with above - just make sure any switch drops that have no cpc are not shock risks- screws that are metal with a metal back box for example, or as Murdoch points out class one plate switches.

You can get white plastic switches with caps for the screws, these will satisfy, or nylon screws can be used (hard to find IMO).

If you're really lucky, there'll be no carpets above all the drops, the floor boards will be loose and the last installer used oval conduit that has bags of space in it.... in which case get your green and yellow out!

I would check the other light switches, but the lack of cpc is not a problem.

Solution - where there is no cpc make sure all accessories are class 2 - fit the warning label on cu - at the unearthed switch boxes replace fixing screws by nylon screws.

Reply to No cpc at light switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net