Discuss Not strictly a car issue but car related. in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I run some computer case fans from a 12volt car battery in my Garage to keep the air flow moving and prevent condensation in winter. I borrowed the idea from classic car air chambers, thinking why not make the entire garage an air chamber, keep my tools and everything else dry at the same time.
I would like to upgrade the system and make it more controllable. In the past I have bought fans and they barely last any time at all. They are just connected straight to a battery, which runs until it goes flat, then I swap it far another charged one and charge the flat one and so it goes on.
I think (could be wrong, appreciate your advice) it's probably hard on the fans, running full speed for a couple of days, then struggling to run increasingly until they stop, only to be out on another fully charged battery and the process all starts again. So I had 2 thoughts, one I have some kind of switch which wold allow me to reduce the voltage, so they never run at full capacity or, two I have a system where they switch on and off using some kind of timer. Both wold be better with additional protection for the hardware, a fuse would be nice, maybe a relay but I know very little about them. Working on cars they get replaced when they stop working with another the same, so I have never actually designed a new system with replays or anything like that.
Appreciate any advice anyone can give, thanks in advance :)

Apologies, Dangerous newby loose on the site. I have just noticed I am in the wrong place, can anyone on her move this to a more relavant section, Sorry :(

Last edited:
I would have thought an old desk fan would do a better job, be quieter and use less electricity.

I have a bit of a fragile electrical system in the Garage, so don't like to add too many things in case it over loads it. I had an electrician who was going to improve things but never got round to it and I have never got round to finding another.
I quite like the idea of 12 volt and always thought maybe eventually a solar panel or windmill could be used to continuously charge it?

The beauty of the small 12v ones is I can have several in different locations and also the can run 24/7, well mostly anyway, barring flat batteries.

Thanks for that.I don't have a dampness issue as such but the science says if he air is moved around even just a little, all the time, it will prevent any condensation settling on cold spots such as metal car bodies. This in turn ties in with metal and moisture causing oxidisation (rust) and if you have old cars lying around, which I have, it;s the last thing you need. Air chambers confine all the beneficial effects to a small area within the garage and I just thought wouldn't it be better if it did the whole garage, so plenty ventilation, fans and keep it as dry as possible anyway.
The other reply above about desk fans, I did try one but it didn't last any time at all. Maybe I bought a cheap one, think it was from a pound shop, are there better ones?

What kind of old cars have you got if you don't mind me asking.
I have done a bit of that in day's gone bye.

Reply to Not strictly a car issue but car related. in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net