Discuss Outdoor decking lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m after some advice/info on adding some outdoor lighting to some new decking.

I plan to install an outdoor weatherproof socket and then add some spotlights to the risers of the decking stairs and some LED strip lighting under the handrail of the stairs and around the handrail that covers the other sides of the deck.

Looking at the spots they seem easy enough to install and the ones I’ve seen stated that they are waterproof.

With the LED lights the strips are listed as waterproof but the power supply and transformer are not. Will I need to get a waterproof transformer and a weather sealed box for these to go into?

Next the hand rail starts about 3m away from where the socket will be – what do I need to use to start the LED strip at the handrail? Is there an extension to the power supply for the LED strips and if so do I need to place that in some conduit or is it waterproof?

The handrail for the stairs is separate to the rest of the handrails for the decking. Can I have two separate LED strips being powered from the one transformer and if so what extra cables/splitter will I need?

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

the driver converts 240V a.c. to 12V d.c. for LEDs, similar to the transformers in 12 V halogen downlights, but with a brain.

Reply to Outdoor decking lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, I would like to use LED chips for DIY projects, to power them I would start from 12V drivers for LED strips. For some chips it is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I replaced an outdoor electrical socket recently with a 2 gang, BG socket which has LED lights to show when it is switched on. Since then I...
Replies
Views
I made a DIY light fixture by putting some cut-to-size LED strips in an aluminum housing connecting them to a Mean Well DC power supply with a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years! I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can...
Replies
Views
I've fitted some led lights with power supply and mi light controller, they were working fine and all colours could be seen, then for some reason...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock