Discuss Outside light - signing off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul Downham

Good morning all,

I have been asked to fit an outside light for somebody, it is not a replacement but a new installation so I need to find a feed and so on.

I have no problem in doing the job but I am not sure how this fits in with the certification side of things. What do I need to do in terms of providing a certificate?

I am 2330 & 17th edition qualified but am not registered to elecsa or NICEIC etc..

Regards

Paul

Out of interest, your posts from 2 years ago suggest you were doing notifiable work - so what did you do then?

Hi,

I was working alongside another electrician that could notify. I am working alone now although I have been inquiring this morning and understand that I would need to sign up with elecsa/niceic etc. or inform building control for an inspection.

Unfortunately, I do not work as an electrician full time and as signing up costs around £500 it may not be cost justified. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.

Paul

Hi,

I was working alongside another electrician that could notify. I am working alone now although I have been inquiring this morning and understand that I would need to sign up with elecsa/niceic etc. or inform building control for an inspection.

Unfortunately, I do not work as an electrician full time and as signing up costs around £500 it may not be cost justified. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.

Paul

Stop doing cash moon lighting jobs?

Stop doing cash moon lighting jobs?

Thanks for the support Murdoch.

I am working on a large country estate in Essex. It's my 1st job since being made redundant from a bank I worked at for 20 odd years and I am working as a painter/decorator/carpenter/electrician. I have a family and a mortgage to pay and in the current climate I need to work.

I am paid by cheque and put it through the books. I studied at college evenings to gain my electrical qualifications and was after some advice really, although from your reply I wish I hadn't bothered!

Cheers

Paul

Fitting an outside light on the outside wall of the house with no exposed outside connections is not notifiable to building control, so long as it is not a new circuit.
For BS7671 certification you can print the model forms from BS7671 and use those.

Thanks Richard,

I just called building control and they confirmed the same. I will sign up with Elecsa or NICEIC for the sake of completeness as the place I am working are asking for more electrical work.

Thanks again

Paul

go for elecsa, they are cheaper and more "electrician friendly". as richard just said, if it's not a new circuit, then it's not a problem. as from april 6th, less work will be notifiable. basically, all that will be notifiable then is 1. new circuits. 2 CU replacement. 3. any work i bathrooms/special locations.

Only work in the zones is notifiable in the bathroom from April 6th (unless a new circuit of course). Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen!
go for elecsa, they are cheaper and more "electrician friendly". as richard just said, if it's not a new circuit, then it's not a problem. as from april 6th, less work will be notifiable. basically, all that will be notifiable then is 1. new circuits. 2 CU replacement. 3. any work i bathrooms/special locations.

Thanks Richard,

I just called building control and they confirmed the same. I will sign up with Elecsa or NICEIC for the sake of completeness as the place I am working are asking for more electrical work.

Thanks again

Paul

Go with Elecsa and use the install for your assessment. Jobs a good un!

WTF is "signing off" ???

you either issue electrical certificates or you issue building notification , or both.

anyway does anybody even bother notifiying a poxy wall light these days ?
all that effort and paperwork for a local authority that almost certainly doesnt give a crap about a new light in your garden ?
cant we go back to paperfree cash backhanders ? life was simpler then. :-D

Reply to Outside light - signing off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net