Discuss Outside lights / socket outside covered way in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there ,
Some advice about running power from the house to a covered way , obviously slightly different to a shed as it’s more open to the elements. Is it best to get a unit/cupboard for the CU ? Or not have a CU at all outside and place a switched spur on the inside wall to power them ...

Do you need it to be outside? Generally put stuff indoors unless absolutely necessary.

Also do you need a CU for multiple circuits? If it is just some lights or sockets then a FCU would be adequate (assuming RCD protected circuit).

Don't forget to use outdoor rated cable. So typically SWA (if mechanical protection required) or Flexishield, or H07RN-F rubber flexible cable if useful (but don't forget ferrules on the wire ends).

Yes ideally outside , just a light (and switch) and then a socket for occasional summer use , I mean cheapest /easiest way would be to spur off inside socket to the outside one ( junction box + armoured or swa) and then place the outside light on a plug top for that socket , obviously won’t be very aesthetic , the other option is spuring off a socket to a fcu and then to a lightswitch and a socket ...

I mean do you need the protection to be outside?

The lowest cost/effort is probably a 13A FCU for the outside socket(s) and another FCU to fuse down to 3A for the lights. Even with outdoor switched accessories, it is a good idea to have internal DP isolation options, both to deal with a fault and to deny strangers the use of them if you are away.

Most likely not no , so spurring off a socket to a 13 amp fcu to the junction box , armoured towards my covered way into another junction and then to the socket and light from there would be okay ?

Or the light on a 5amp fcu from the outside socket , with the armoured going straight to the socket ? Thanks
Just spur off a socket inside into a double pole isolator and then drill through to provide an external socket then either have a fused spur next to that socket or run SWA to a fused spur suitably IP rated fused down for lights required

Attachments

• B575CD78-C0F2-49C4-AF46-829D168D1171.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Outside lights / socket outside covered way in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net