Discuss PAT Testing Equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spazz

Just wondering as I have seen so many different types of PAT Testers out there, if there is any need for me to buy one on the basis that most of the time you are unable to unplug the equipment and test the load.
I know they would be nice tools, but dont get me wrong if I wont get the use of them I wont get one - how many people on here have a PAT Tester and how many of those use it and how often?

I am in the middle of starting and about to start my course on Tuesday - just been looking at the meters - and heard a few times mentioned that You cant usually unplug and test the equipment - If Im completely wrong then thats fine and I will get a meter.

I know Im running before I take the course but long story short I have been given some cash and need to spend it on equipment to start the business up but not waste it - Im capped with time - not going into detail.

So Im just looking at advice on what equipment to get.

I have seen a few, but not sure which one - Dont want to spend to much and want to get it from test-meter.co.uk

Im getting the MI3000 Mutifuctional Tester tomorrow so just wondering which to get as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
The course Im doing is only 6hrs long - It is accredited by C&G.

I also know that that college is known to check the cable for damage, check all screws and stick a sticker on. Not even the department that does PAT Testing in the college uses any equipment - so not sure if the college will have any equipment to train us on - if you know what I mean.

Its the same situation with the other college in my area

Before i bought my megger PAT4 few years back the megger rep spent 3hrs going through it with me on how to use it and its functions etc and even was going to let me borrow his sample meter for a day. Was pleased that they took the time but it was £1k meter so guess you get what you pay for, can't say that for other makes as never tried them, perhaps they do the same.

Im just wondering as Im just starting and not sure how much it will be used - weather or not to get a basic one costing less than £300 then if the demand is there to go and invest in a more expensive one.

What is the average price charged per appliance with PAT Testing? (or however you charge)

I charge £2 an item with a minimum charge of £20. How much you use it depends on where you are. We have a lot of student accommodation that's needing tested. I spend maybe a day or so a month pat testing.

Im from West Wales, mainly shops and training centers and Supermarkets, etc.
No Student Apartments at all

Im currently looking at the Metrel GammaPAT Lite Kit 2 from Test-meter.co.uk
What do you think good buy or not?
with my 5% discount it would cost £500 inc VAT.

Working on your £2 per item - I would need to test 250 items to make my money back - and knowing that most of the Sparkys around here only check the cable and stick a sticker on and your done - 2 mins max. Even the colleges are like that

Ive never used any Metrel equipment so I can't comment on it. I have a secondhand Fluke 6500 that cost me £250

You had one hell of a good buy - I have looked on ebay and none come close to that - apart from 1 Im watching, just had a calibration as well.
It will prob go way past the £450 mark though

I dont think you can fail it but you need to log or note the fact that access to it was denied in others words you asked to test it and J Bloggs said sorry but that is not getting switched off and that what you record.

I bought the Kewtech KT71 kit and I am very pleased as I wont be testing 100s of items i supply the service to suppliment and aid my other work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The course Im doing is only 6hrs long - It is accredited by C&G.

I also know that that college is known to check the cable for damage, check all screws and stick a sticker on. Not even the department that does PAT Testing in the college uses any equipment - so not sure if the college will have any equipment to train us on - if you know what I mean.

Its the same situation with the other college in my area

Visual inspection alone is not sufficient. You will need at some stage to test earth continuity and insulation resistance as well as a visual inspection (the college should practise what it teaches - any course which advises you that visual inspection is sufficient is unlikely to be worth attending); you also need to inspect the 13A plug internals (unless it is a moulded plug when you should at least check the fuse for correct marking and rating).

You should invest in the Code of Practise as your first purchase - it is extremely useful.

The more expensive PAT testers tend to be more automated (e.g. bar codes, automatic test results generated for printing, flash tests for workshops/repair centres). Therefore, if you are doing a lot of PAT testing the time saved (and don't underestimate the documentation time) will soon earn your money back with an automated tester. However, if you are not expecting to do much PAT testing, buy a cheaper one that you find easy to use and can get calibrated somewhere convenient for you. (You can sometimes buy a cheapish kit to add to your multifunction tester if you have one (I believe there is, for example, a kit for the Megger 17xx testers which is less than £100 and kits you out for PAT testing.)

Reply to PAT Testing Equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net