Discuss Pick ups... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No pictures as I don't use a pickup anymore.
I used mine badly TBH.

It was a pain in the rear I got rid of it and moved to a van as quickly as possible.

I only used it as that was my vehicle when I went self employed.

They has about uless has chocolate fireguard, why would a spark buy one of them.a spark that I know got one of them and had sold it with in 12 months.
to be cooler that that what sank the titanic: so cool that customers would freeze and get their wallets open.
1586008794171.png

An emergency stop can have hidden consequences =
I said no hash breaking for a reason ..!!
Those machines take a real beating 24 hours a day , sometimes 7 days a week.
Those Cat's are amazing machines , but fatigue gets to us all lol.
One smaller Terex R50 broke in two on the construction of Kielder water.

We had a Ford Ranger on site when I worked on the caravan site. Could tow a 40ft static caravan on the flat.

Had a hard cover on the back, so everything was locked down. But not the same space as a van

@pirate . No it's an RB 150 . That is a photograph that @tony gave me as an Avatar .
Tony was a Quarry man too.
To be honest the main difference is in the size , and that one is electric powered.
The early ones were Ruston Bucyrus , and later became Bucyrus Eirie.

Last edited:
Ah, right! I remember them always being referred to as RB (number) when I worked on the sites as a student.
Memories...:)

I got to drive the big Volvo motor scrapers and D8s and drotts...great fun!

Yes, so did I . Scrapers were savage amusement. :) We had Europe's largest walking dragline there, but I never got a crack at that.
I have operated the 22 dragline though.

Happy days!
I was actually employed as a chain-boy (No jokes, please!) but was allowed to drive some of the machines if someone was off on holiday. As a student i didn't pay tax, and we were working long hours to get the playing fields ready at a new school, during the summer holidays. Back then, in about 1973, my weekly wage packet was around £135...
Beer was 14p/pint...you do the maths! LOL!

Reply to Pick ups... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net