Discuss 12V DC Charger Not Working/Heating Up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

matros

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased an old detector with charger from the US.

Plugged it in with converting plug into Australian GPO and charger, it started heating up and smoking. Please see attached pictures. Both the US and charging plug and converter had gotten extremely hot.

Does the current need converting somehow for this to work?

Have a destroyed my purchase?

Could the plug be replaced with the Australian equivalent?

Attachments

• PXL_20231202_024543225.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231202_024538018.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231202_024525265.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231202_024514031.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 7
The converting plug converts the pin type only.
Whatever voltage you put in, 240v in Australia? , you will get out the other side.
The U.S charger only works on 120v, but has just had 240v? put in it, hence the smoke.
That'll be goodbye to that 120v to 12v DC charger.

If the 12v lead out the charger to the detector was also smoking, you've probably damaged the detector.
Hopefully not.

Assuming the 12v DC charger plugs into the detector, what you need is a 240v? to 12v DC charger of a similar seconday rating, 14vDC @ 40ma, with AUS 240v pins and 12v DC plug to match the detector.

Bin the converter and 120v charger

Hi,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Yeah its 240v in Australia. The cable didn't smoke that I know of. The connection to the detector is very unique and unit is discontinued.

Finding another charger is almost impossible.
I wonder if the plug can be cut off and cable wired to a new Australian 2 pin plug with relevant transformer? I could take it to an electronic repair store for the works.

Also it did come with a 12v car charger. Guess I could buy something like the below to charge?

AU 240V Mains Plug to 12V Socket Adapter Car Cigarette Lighter Power Converter | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/373922395686?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=vvpqvwn9tx2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=R00a2vjLTrW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

Thanks in advance

Reply to 12V DC Charger Not Working/Heating Up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net