Discuss Power Supply Ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GarryJ

-
Reaction score
Hi there,
We have just completed an EICR on a Historic Castle, 1 of the Fuse Boxes was pretty bad so we have issued a Dangerous Installation Notice and removed supply fuses and locked it off etc. Its an old wooden fuse box with double pole fusing etc etc etc.

Anyway, my current problem is that is supplies some Fire Alarm Repeater panels throughout the castle which are now dead. They are not on their own circuit and looked to have been tapped off whatever the hell was nearest by.

As opposed to running temporary supplies to them (cable routes etc a nightmare) and introduce trip hazards etc to other trades on site I was planning to buy 2 x rechargeable power supplies. They are going to begin works fairly soon to rewire as required but I thought if we could buy 2 of these and then just charge them up when required it is going to save a massive amount of work and materials for temporary supplies.

I am not sure the exact load of the repeater panel but imagine it to be very little.

Does anyone have or used and rechargeable 230v output power supplies? They can simply unplug or disconnect by some plug and play means and put it on charge every few days or when required.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Why don't you buy hire a generator for the job.
These repeater panels are at different locations on the 4th floor, was trying to get away from cables trailing up stairs etc.
I had thought if I can buy 2 units and just sit them right next to panel and neatly clip cable into the existing unswitched spur unit etc and introduce some plug and play method for them to recharge would be easier, cheaper and best for client

These repeater panels are at different locations on the 4th floor, was trying to get away from cables trailing up stairs etc.
I had thought if I can buy 2 units and just sit them right next to panel and neatly clip cable into the existing unswitched spur unit etc and introduce some plug and play method for them to recharge would be easier, cheaper and best for client
how would a achieve that.. So you need mains power to the fire panal, considering it a listed building.

how would a achieve that.. So you need mains power to the fire panal, considering it a listed building.
Good point - Before going ahead they may need to check with Fire Alarm company and Insurers etc, Yes its A listed. The main fire panel and all other floors are fine, I am really just thinking of ideas for these 2 repeater panels on top floor where we have now isolated Fuse Boxes which supply them.

I would have thought that the need for the Fire Alarm was far greater than the potential risk from the Fuseboard.
Could you not have linked out the Neutral fuse just on the alarm circuit(s) or put a solid link equal to the circuit size, then fastened the Board to prevent access.

If the Fire Alarm is maintained by others, then you'll need their agreement as to what is acceptable, they may have a solution already as it's probably not the first time this issue has occured.

as above ^^^.should not have isolated supply.maybe made as safe as possible, issue a danger notice by all means. it's the customers decision whether or not to authorise isolation, once you have warned of the danger/s.

How functional are the repeater panels are they Active, Passive or just Mimic. Are they required for the fire services to locate the fire or are the main pain panels adequate.

as above ^^^.should not have isolated supply.maybe made as safe as possible, issue a danger notice by all means. it's the customers decision whether or not to authorise isolation, once you have warned of the danger/s.

I made it clear to the client if we can get a signature from Authorised person then we can power it back up. I had already discussed a quick temporary lockable enclosure or making it secure in some way.
The client advised us that now they have it in writing how bad the Electrics are on the 4th floor they need to keep it isolated for insurance purposes.
This is the oldest castle in Scotland, already had 2 major fires due to Electrical faults and we had lots of reports and concerns from other contractors working in eve spaces on this floor of condition of Electrics. Every circuit is VIR with highest Insulation Resistance reading of about 0.5 MOhms, a list of code 1 items in these areas the length of your arm, Im looking for some advice and maybe an idea for a temporary rechargeable supply, given than the supply to a fire alarm device must be mains powered and permanent as kindly noted by another member is a good input and will speak to client - I dont need to be told what I should or shouldn't have done.

already had 2 major fires due to Electrical faults
I would then suggest you need to have the system fully operational as soon as possible. Don't mess about with rechargeable supplies, you need to run temporary supplies in, last thing you want is for a supply to fail just at the wrong time, the insurers will be chasing you for the money.

How important are the repeater panels, see #9.

Thanks all for Input.
Going up tomorrow to discuss all options with Insurers, Fire Alarm Contractor and Client.

Forgot to mention, due to hot work permits in place in castle grounds every single other trade and company have had worked paused!! :eek:

Just a quick request, if you pull out any old fittings in complete and generally sound condition such as the fuseboards, long good runs of early cable, wooden casing etc that you don't want, we're always looking for things for the museum. I can soon tell from a pic whether something is of interest, if so will happily pay for postage and fund the odd round of beers if you find anything really good!

Reply to Power Supply Ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net