Discuss Power to shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gary K

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Hopefully straightforward question with a similar answer.

My Mum is having a power supply put in from her CU in her bungalow to her shed and greenhouse. She has had a sparks come round and quote and is coming round later this month do do the job.
I have asked about the job and apparently he is just going to attach the cable to a plastic water pipe that lays on the floor and goes down the side of the property. I have asked what size and type of cable and she is unsure of size but believes is will be SWA. The run will be around 50 metres
I was a bit concerned that it is just going to lay on the surface with no other protection.
Is this acceptable although not best practice, or is it definitely breaking the regs?
Thanks for any input.

I would prefer the cable to be clipped (cleated) to the actual wall rather than tied to a pipe
Not an option as once you get away from the bungalow,there isn't a wall, just shrubs and larger trees bordering the grass, the neighbours fence only goes half way and I would not think they would appreciate us clipping to it.
[automerge]1570656318[/automerge]
What loads is she having in greenhouse and shed? Any heaters?
It would just be a couple if lights,a plug point for hedge trimmer and lawn mowers

Last edited:
I have often ran swa cables through gardens not buried, but have always cleated it to something. As soon as you bury it, it has to be a proper job in a garden, two feet down and buried marker tape, also preferably a sand bed.

I have often ran swa cables through gardens not buried, but have always cleated it to something. As soon as you bury it, it has to be a proper job in a garden, two feet down and buried marker tape, also preferably a sand bed.

Which gets real expensive real quick

As above mate. I wouldn't want it tied to a plastic pipe.
At the very least I would knock some small wooden posts (can't think of the correct term) into the ground and fix to them.
Also, what about Part P. This is a new circuit so it is notifiable. (Depending on what part of the UK your mum lives). Is the electrician sorting this out.
I'd get a detailed quote from the electrician and see what he is actually planning on doing.
Also, see what size cable the electrician is quoting for and what size breaker in the CU they are fitting.

Last edited:
I really cant see any difference in laying it direct on the ground or tying it to a plastic water pipe already laying on the ground. If said water pipe is in a location where mechanical damage is unlikely then it would make sense to keep the two together where they are obvious rather than separate. I cant see anything wrong with that if other options are impractical. As already stated burying is going to see a major cost increase which may render the job not viable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Gary K

To get the answers you want, maybe contact the spark direct to see what he is actually going to do. Ask what type of cable and what size.
Then come back to us with probable load and length of cable to see if we think it’s ok.

As for SWA laying on ground. I have no problem with that dependant on location.

Just remember ask 3 sparks the same question you willl get 3 different answers, but cable calcs cannot lie. On sizing we should be in agreement.

I have deleted/edited some posts. Can we keep this on track and stop the member sniping. Who knows the OP may come back.

Sorry guys have been away.
Will try and get some more details.
There used to be power to the sheds with the cable coming out of the garage( and I don't know who fitted it) and was strung through the bordering trees about 4m from the ground This is no longer an option due to loosing most of the trees on that side of the garden.
The water pipe has been down several years and has never been damaged. I think if the cable is cable tied to this blue pipe, it is more visible than if it was just laid out separately is the thinking.
Solar lights are great when they work but not the same as mains powered and personally, I think battery powered tools aren't that good what with charging after 30 mins work, older batteries not holding a charge and the additional weight. Thing that you don't have to worry about with a cable!
Also had to deal with this in the loft near to where he will be taking the cable. Glad we found it and had it destroyed rather than the electrician disturbing it!

DSC_0322.JPG

Last edited:
I really cant see any difference in laying it direct on the ground or tying it to a plastic water pipe already laying on the ground. If said water pipe is in a location where mechanical damage is unlikely then it would make sense to keep the two together where they are obvious rather than separate. I cant see anything wrong with that if other options are impractical. As already stated burying is going to see a major cost increase which may render the job not viable.
TBH I wouldn't want to clip SWA to say a flimsy plastic waste pipe for fear of collapsing the pipe fixings and damaging the pipe. The SWA would be fine. If both are just lying on the ground not so much of an issue although if clipped together, someone grabbing hold of the SWA is likely to rip the pipe apart.

Reply to Power to shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net