Discuss Premature oven lamp failure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently had to replace one of the 25w pygmy lamps in my oven, first lamp lasted around 2 weeks before it blew, I just thought its probably a dud lamp so got a new one and put it in, however it failed after only around 3 weeks. So I've had two 25w pygmy lamps fail in 5 weeks, seems unlikely that both were duds and they were crompton lamps as well so a fairly decent brand. Worth noting the oven has two lights in it, one either side, and the other one has been working fine since day 1, it's only one side I'm having trouble with.

Do you think its likely that they were both just duds? Not sure if they were the same batch but they were bought 2 weeks apart and from different stores so doesn't seem that likely. Don't think it was a surge or anything as nothing else in the house has had any problems. Could a loose connection somewhere to the one lamp holder cause the lamps to fail prematurely? Haven't noticed any flickering but then again it's not like I stare at the oven when it's on!

Thoughts appreciated!

Not like its that expensive buying a new one but its certainly annoying having to replace them so quickly.
Thanks for any replies!

There are many very poorly made lamps sold for ovens. I recently replaced my own oven lamp with one from a well known electrical wholesaler. The replacement exploded after two days and, after picking up the pieces of glass and extracting the lamp's base, I've decided to live without oven illumination for now.

I suspect OE replacements may be of higher quality, but they tend to be rather expensive.

Yep pretty sure it was exactly that one, bought them from toolstation, listed as CED brand but got given crompton both times, box clearly said oven lamp though and even gave a temperature rating of 300⁰C - my oven doesn't even go that high (and isn't pyrolytic)

Yep pretty sure it was exactly that one, bought them from toolstation, listed as CED brand but got given crompton both times, box clearly said oven lamp though and even gave a temperature rating of 300⁰C - my oven doesn't even go that high (and isn't pyrolytic)
Is it a fan oven - just wondered if vibration could somehow be responsible?
I'd be inclined to keep replacing it, maybe with another brand, and see if it keeps happening - which might point to a problem on that side of the oven other than the bulb itself.

Is it a fan oven - just wondered if vibration could somehow be responsible?
I'd be inclined to keep replacing it, maybe with another brand, and see if it keeps happening - which might point to a problem on that side of the oven other than the bulb itself.
Yeah it is a fan oven, which I guess could definitely accelerate the failure of a poor lamp but both lights would be affected pretty equally I would have thought. I might get the 'proper' replacement that aeg list on their site, its only £2 more expensive and if it lasts longer then fair enough.

Just a thought, as far as I'm aware touching the glass bulb is only a problem for halogen lamps but could the oven lamps be affected by that?? They're incandescent not halogen so I did just use my fingers but wonder if using gloves might help?

Just a thought, as far as I'm aware touching the glass bulb is only a problem for halogen lamps but could the oven lamps be affected by that?? They're incandescent not halogen so I did just use my fingers but wonder if using gloves might help?
No I don't think that is an issue for low power lamps. Halogen glass envelopes run vey hot, which is the reason for caution, but that's not the case with a 25W oven lamp!

Reply to Premature oven lamp failure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net