Discuss Proving unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davek

Hi all
Is it essential to have a proving unit at your part-p assessment, I know we should have one, in reality how many actually use one.
regards
Dave

would that be acceptable, to the assessor my job is a consumer unit would he not possibly argue, I could not prove unit after confirming supply is dead.

Hi all
Is it essential to have a proving unit at your part-p assessment, I know we should have one, in reality how many actually use one.
regards
Dave
Being a professional Electrician I use voltage indicators daily and so I own a proving unit. I would expect other tradesmen own them as well as they are an essential piece of equipment IMO. As for part p guys I have no idea if they even know how to use the voltage indicators let alone how to prove they operate correctly.

you would isolate by turning off the main switch in the CU. the top terminals will still be live to prove your tester. whatever you do, don't pull the DNO fuse to isolate.

yes its acceptable to prove on a known supply as Tel says i.e.the supply side of your main switch download document GS38 its all you need to know about test equipment and requirements

The trouble is though what if the voltage indicators show no voltage at the main switch terminals? without a proving unit it is just hard to know whether there is power there or not.

if you test when the system is energised and your voltage insicator shows nothing, it;s a pretty safe bet that it;s knackered.

if you test when the system is energised and your voltage insicator shows nothing, it;s a pretty safe bet that it;s knackered.
Well I am not going to get into a major debate Tel. However my view is when you switch the board off you could actually remove the cover and test the supply and think it is obvious it is on. if the testers do not show a supply you could assume they are not working correctly. Now in this circumstance fair enough as it is a domestic premises as were talking part pee it isn't a problem. What if you were testing a dist board connected to a stop button via a contactor or a dist board controlling lighting via a timeclock? the only way to be a 100% sure a supply is isolated or live is with a tester which has been proven to be functioning via a proving unit, as far as I am concerned this just proves how carp the inspection system by these schemes are. They do not ensure the guys are adequatly trained or know how to test, I could go on all night regarding safe isolation ans testing with instruments but I have already bored the pants off myself :cool3:

think debate done I will just get one offset to tax lol
cheers guys not worth the fail as will end up buying one anyway. any recommendations

totally agree with you there, mike on being certain, but with domestic testing on a "known live source" is, IMO, acceptable. with industrial, where you have 3 phase and maybe more than 1 source of supply, then you are 100% right, but that is usually beyond the scope of a Electrical Trainee.

think debate done I will just get one offset to tax lol
cheers guys not worth the fail as will end up buying one anyway. any recommendations
I have the ethos unit, cheap and reliable

- - - Updated - - -

totally agree with you there, mike on being certain, but with domestic testing on a "known live source" is, IMO, acceptable. with industrial, where you have 3 phase and maybe more than 1 source of supply, then you are 100% right, but that is usually beyond the scope of a Electrical Trainee.
Yeah fair enough tel.

Reply to Proving unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net