Discuss Q-Cells bankrupt in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Look on the bright side, though.....

If we have no money left to spend, and no more room to borrow, and nothing of much value to sell to the rest of the world, and no incentive for companies to invest in "expensive" UK production, then it is only a matter of time before the GB Pound loses strength against other currencies because nobody overseas would have any reason to want GB Pounds.
Eventually, a weaker Pound would make UK businesses more competitive and kickstart UK industry and farming again.
But a weaker currency isn't all roses; the adjustment period of weak currency and import-dependence will result in an uncomfortable rise in the cost of living for many households and a somewhat lower quality of life in general in the UK.
So we'll have a return industry, farming and high levels of employment, but coupled with a high cost of living until we get fully up to self-sufficiency again.

Warranties are at present safe and some of the products are insuarance backed, Qcells have had internal meetings all day today (Understandable) and I am to beleive Internal and external anouncements will be made.

I have took an interest in other tier 1 companies and it looks like there are going to be a few in the same boat now the bubble has burst with losses in the 100's Millions.

FB my comments before were not aimed at you but suppliers / installers devaluing a product, there is cheap then value for money and premium. The premium products are all pretty much consistant in price however a few companies have tried to devalue the product. Value for money / mid range vary a lot and this is the likes of your Power-one with canadian although I see both as a premium product.

The cheap products are the likes of ET / Amerisolar Panels with Chint or similar inverters. My concern is more to do with the honesty that they are sold.

How many would do a PVsol on a clients property and leave it with them?? I know most on here probably would. I have seen customers in the past based in Angelsey with a PVsol report with sharps performing better than Canadian, the problem was the Sharp PVsol shown in Bournemouth with south facing roof as canadian shown Vally with 40 degrees off asmuth.

Qcell were one of the first in the crap and hopefully one of the first out, downside is they may have to outsource more of their manufacturing which may devalue their own product.

....FB my comments before were not aimed at you.....

Hi Glen

I never assumed that they were directed at me, nor anyone else in particular. :wink_smile:

I just thought that members might be interested in a reason why I didn't want to spend a lot in a period of upheaval and uncertainty.
For the record: the Sanyo's were not out of my price range; "affordability" wasn't an issue, but government-induced uncertainty was a big issue, plus also weighing-up whether I'd get 30% more performance from Sanyo's to justify the extra cost.

Reply to Q-Cells bankrupt in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net