Discuss RCBO's are suppliers taking a risk in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
There talks that campervan electrical suppliers, like Truma, Sargent, Powerpart, etc are supplying electrical consumer units or control systems with 240v systems illegally as they do not meet the 18th edition, section 721 on motorcaravans where in a fault, both live and neutral must be disconnected by an electrical safety device.
There is a 'Youtube' campervan adviser stating this.
Is this correct (both live and neutral must be broken) and if so, are these manufacturers/suppliers dodging a bullet?
Also, when an RCBO trips, does this cut both live and neutral?

Ta
Karl

It is not a legal requirement to follow the 18th edition
manufacturers of mobile homes and caravans are probably in a better position than most to design systems that are robust and safe for use.

however, the 18th edition is very likely to be the best way for a camp site or any other place providing an electricity supply for mobile living units to ensure compliance with uk law.
Don’t believe everything they tell you on utube

Can't find anything on Youtube, yet, but,
Truma, Sargent, (can't find Powerpart) appear to be suppliers of components not builders or sellers of campervans, so there's no liability on them at all.

There's no law that that makes failing to comply with the 18th Regs illegal.

It's down to the owner / person installing the electrical system and other components to ensure they comply with any relevant regulations.

Coincidentally, I was watching a youtube video about a luxury superyacht, as I have been boating for over 60 years and love to follow the newest trends, even though I have no chance of owning such a boat.
Anyway, we all know that swimming pools and marinas are special cases for electrical installation, but what do manufacturers do about on-board systems where they have 12 or 24 Volt circuits, and shore-power too?
Well, the DC systems are easy, and haven't changed a huge amount, except monitoring and charging are much more sophisticated. However, the AC installations are completely amazing (to me, anyway). We have multiple incoming cables, some on auto-recovering spring loaded reels) and a bank of inverters, chargers, a couple of big generators (big for boats that is) and all controlled by an automated system which, when you plug in to shore power anywhere in the world, the system detects the voltage and whether it's 50 or 60 hertz or whatever, and converts the input to exactly what the boat requires.
The actual installation on some of these super-yachts is as clinical and neat as anything you could imagine, everything is labelled every metre or so, and the whole installation is connected to a massive display that tells you everything that's happening...and the staus of the current configuration and the status of the 2 backup systems.
I am fortunate to know an electrician who works for a major manufacturer of such boats, so I asked him how much it costs to install the full electrics on a 75' yacht with twin engines, radar, AIS, 12 and 24V plus shorepower plus inverters and chargers and generators, and all the other systems demanded by owners. His reply, excluding the actual cost of the "appliances" (radar, AIS, Satnav, satphone, sat-tv. water makers, etc) so, basically the infrastructure...
£300k...seems a lot, but when the boat costs £5m that seems like a reasonable amount.
My dream job?
Maintaining these beautifully installed systems which need virtually no maintenance, but polishing everything 'til it gleams...and if something breaks, fitting the latest replacement unit regardless of cost!
Dream on, Pirate!

Reply to RCBO's are suppliers taking a risk in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net