Discuss RCD Main switch, electrical installation certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davey1988

Im still in learning stages guys to I'm no expert lol few questions if any1 can help me out

electrical installation form i am filling out is protected by a RCD as a main switch and says describe main switch in certificate. I understand i need to complete the bottom (protected by a 30ma RCD operating at 40ms) but do i need to fill in the other details of the main switch as i would only be able to put double pole and 230 volts. Does not state bs number on RCD its blank as i'm aware they supposed to legally show this?

cheers fellas

What is the manufacture of cu and mcbs how old ?
Just had look at iet site bs4293 were replaced by 61008 in 1995 might help you in someway then again might not :p

Last edited by a moderator:
im just asking regarding the pic above, the rcd in the actual cu where i am testing is approx 10 years old? has 60898-1 mcbs and seems like a new one, but i seen the pic above which looks similar (not that one tho)

it'll be a 61008 then. you may find this on the side of the RCD. not visible till you remove it.

Ah so if over 20ms tripping time replacement needed as its not prtecting what it suposed to? Even if its 25ms and its complies with the latest rcd times

im just asking regarding the pic above, the rcd in the actual cu where i am testing is approx 10 years old? has 60898-1 mcbs and seems like a new one, but i seen the pic above which looks similar (not that one tho)
Unless the RCDs are obviously old and large you cannot tell by visuals, some of the more modern RCDs to BS4293 look very similar to BS61008, interestingly I found a picture of that RCD you posted that had the comment beside it that is was fully compliant with BS4293! but being sold now, hmmmm.

Yea what i ment sorry, okguys thanks im nearly polished my nvq off will buy gn3 soon.

I would have thought it would have been a better idea to have all the relevant Guidance Notes before starting the NVQ Lv 3 course!! But then again i'm old school, and tend to be prepared, rather than to wait until the horse has already bolted down the lane!! lol!!

Reply to RCD Main switch, electrical installation certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net