Discuss Rented Sector Scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is the Rented Sector Scheme a legal requirement to carryout EICR's on rented properties.
I can not see why there needs to be another scheme to carryout EICR on rentals when you are an Approved Contractor.

Have you hear of this thing called money, the NICEY have and they want lots of it, all of it actually. Ironically you dont even need to be a scam member to carry out EICR's but I suppose its whatever the insurance company/council.owner want at the end of the day. I didn't bother with NAPITS EICR sceme and the assesor was a bit put out saying "well don't expect any help from us if you come unstuck doing one - you are on your own" ah well, think he was on the hard sell.

Have you hear of this thing called money, the NICEY have and they want lots of it, all of it actually. Ironically you dont even need to be a scam member to carry out EICR's but I suppose its whatever the insurance company/council.owner want at the end of the day. I didn't bother with NAPITS EICR sceme and the assesor was a bit put out saying "well don't expect any help from us if you come unstuck doing one - you are on your own" ah well, think he was on the hard sell.
Only had our annual assessment 6 months ago with plenty of EICR's for rented accommodations & the assessor said nothing about the Rented Sector Scheme.

I'd never heard of it either but I googled it and the NIC was the first hit on google

It wasn't the rental scheme our assesor was going on about, just EICR's in general, if you want to associate your EICR's with NAPIT you have to pay them extra dosh, we declined as we don't do that many EICR's and you dont need to be in NAPIT full stop anyway to carry them out so it was money for old rope as far as I was concerned.

This seems the biggest ---- take about the NIC scheme.

Please note if you hold registration for the domestic installer scheme only, you will require a craft qualification in addition to the 18th edition BS 7671 qualification and periodic Inspection and testing qualification(s).

So to carry out inspection and testing in a property the NIC dont think a testing and inspecting qualification is good enough, you need one of their overpriced courses to join the scam that you don't need.

This seems the biggest ---- take about the NIC scheme.

Please note if you hold registration for the domestic installer scheme only, you will require a craft qualification in addition to the 18th edition BS 7671 qualification and periodic Inspection and testing qualification(s).

So to carry out inspection and testing in a property the NIC dont think a testing and inspecting qualification is good enough, you need one of their overpriced courses to join the scam that you don't need.
As you've said, it's all about the money & if you question anything, it's always because of Grenfell.

In fairness to the NIC there is no additional charge to opt into the rented property inspection scheme for Approved Contractors so long as you meet the criteria.

In fairness to the NIC there is no additional charge to opt into the rented property inspection scheme for Approved Contractors so long as you meet the criteria.
Think I'll have to have a sit down, are you sure that's possible. I still don't get it though, you can be an approved contractor or domestic installer and still be able to carry out EICR's off your own back without any NIC logo etc. But surely they charge again for doing EICR's with their branding on, so if so what use is the rental scheme because you can test rentals to your hearts content without this scheme.

And what about non rental EICR's, what scheme is that? - Approved contractor? Its all very complicated just to go out and do a days work.

Reply to Rented Sector Scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net