Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Rewiring singles. in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ezzzekiel

question for older sparks,

currently doing partial rewires to load of old bungalows (new rings, cooker, and db) noticed that the lighting (not being touched) is wired in singles which isnt the problem but every property the hall and bathroom light has not had a cpc run to it yet every other light/switch has, was this some sort of strange convention back in the day?

I can only think that if it is run in a metal conduit they are ensuring the continuity of it by earthing points throughout the installation. Why they omitted it from the same 2 places in each house will be down to what the sparks thought at the time,

Got to remember sparks in those days weren't really theory guys but doers.

I wonder if the luminaires for those 2 positions were specified as class 2 originally and the electricians in their 'wisdom' didn't bother with a separate cpc at those points?

I'm clutching at straws!

Were these at the end of the run? maybe they got their measurments wrong and didnt have enough cable on each house. Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered. No offence meant to anyone, we've all come a long way, but I think sparks of old had a pretty fast-and-loose attitude towards earthing. I know cos my old man was one, and I still argue with him about the importance of earthing on lighting circuits (he views it as merely a pain in the aris).

Were these at the end of the run? maybe they got their measurments wrong and didnt have enough cable on each house. Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered. No offence meant to anyone, we've all come a long way, but I think sparks of old had a pretty fast-and-loose attitude towards earthing. I know cos my old man was one, and I still argue with him about the importance of earthing on lighting circuits (he views it as merely a pain in the aris).

I take great offence at that rocker ...................I was taught the correct and proper way about earthing.

" Red to Red Black to Black .................green throw it away "

Though tongue in cheek .............I'm still convinced that the sparks that told me that wasn't joking. Ask your dad about that one mate ;)

Its not an old RAF house early 70's is it ,, i work alot at RAF valley on the EX RAF houses they are all run in singles but double insulated especially down to the switches and some have earth loops to the light fittings what i have done in some of them is to reuse the conduit and re earth the tops of the conduit if you can get at them and wired in TWE as you would normally great protection for cables less than 50mm

not back till monday will check out a bit more, maybe conduit is earthed or as IQ states maybe class 11 for some reason at these fittings, did notice that the originals must of been bakerlite as the light fittings are the same style only plastic and signs of twin and earth in places think maybe a part rewire in the past?

I take great offence at that rocker ...................I was taught the correct and proper way about earthing.

" Red to Red Black to Black .................green throw it away "

Though tongue in cheek .............I'm still convinced that the sparks that told me that wasn't joking. Ask your dad about that one mate ;)

I thought it was black to black, red to green & blue to Hell. ;)

Reply to Rewiring singles. in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net