• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Rfc for a newby confirmation please guys in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys still studying hoping to take exams this year at aged 54
Question is when doing continuity of rfc to confirm if a ring is complete .
Is they a table/chart for maximum ohms readings allowed etc I understand how to do the test etc and figure of 8 so hopefully just some confirmation.
Tia guys

if your refer to end-end readings, there is no max. stipulated, but bear in mind (r1+r2)/4 = R1+R2, thus giving rise to Zs values compliant with 0.4sec. diss. for the MCB. generally accepted that a RFC (32A in 2.5mm) should not cover a floor area > 1oo sq.m.

Thanks telectrix makes sense cheers
Another quick one if you don't mind.
how do you go about if items are still plugged in and can't get to unplug ie built in appliances with no means of isolation without removal of appliance.
I'm assuming would get different results between phase and neutral lines ? Tia

I was always taught end to end is a commissioning test , so in theory nothing should be plugged in at this stage.
If appliances are plugged in and been live you are way past commissioning an installation

For a confirmation of an existing ring I would say that in general just measuring the end to end continuity of the ring conductors would show that it is a ring of some sort.
To check it is a compliant ring, such as at initial verification, would require the crossover figure 8 measurements but if this had been done at the original installation if the conductors are still continuous it is unlikely to have changed, unless you can tell there have been major changes.

However even if you were to measure the crossover line and neutral resistances with a connected load on the ring it would only lower the measured resistances slightly.
The load would be in parallel with the resistance you are measuring but would be at least an order of magnitude higher or greater and so the effect on the actual measured resistance would be negligible.
For example even a load drawing the full 32A of a ring would be a resistance of about 7Ω and so on a, say, 0.7Ω ring resistance would then make it 0.63Ω so a 0.07Ω difference at the worst case.

Just post to Admin for access. Westward 10, Leesparkykent, Sparkychick will be able to help I'm sure.

Reply to Rfc for a newby confirmation please guys in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back