Discuss s plan in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

liambrewer1990

Doing my first complicated heating system in a few days time , only ever done combi boilers so a bit unsure about a few things. If I follow the wiring diagram just like it is will everything work okay? surely thats to easy im thinking there must be more to it. Also ive been told the boiler needs a permanemt live so therefore requires a 4 core, on the wiring diagram it only shows live neautral and earth?
Any would be appreciated guys, thanks,

just buy 5 core and run to each postion, by the way ive never even looked at 1... just something i ear waged along the way. welcome

If you have never done a boiler before always go with the drawing in the boiler as some are 230v stats and some are no volt coils so be careful. they are a piece of cake after your first one. might be an idea to keep a copy for wiring different plumb types in the van ie s, w & c. good luck fella.

You only need a permanent feed to the boiler if it has a pump over-run. It’s always good to pull in a 4 core anyway just in case. :yes:

S Plan.jpg

Hopefully the PLAN is all located in 1 cupboard,cylinder,programmer,valves,pump,cyl stat etc,otherwise might confuse slightly,but with the diagram should be ok.I always put the wiring centre in the location where the motorised valves are, as they are 5 core cables its a pain to extend them,S plans are a lot simpler than you may think.The basics are:

All connections made into suitable wiring centre(a honeywell pcb type is easy to wire)

PERM L to Boiler,programmer,roomstat reciever(if wireless),both valves(greys)
Neutral to boiler,programmer,roomstat or roomstat reciever(if wireless),both valves(blues)
Earths all connected
5 core wiring centre to programmer l,n,e 4th core hw on,5th core htg on
hw on from programmer-common on cyl stat
htg on from programmer-common on roomstat/wireless roomstat reciever
call for heat from cyl stat-brown hw valve
call for heat from roomstat-brown htg valve, all this leaves is the oranges which both go with the switched live for boiler.

I thought perhaps this might be of use aswell as using your diagram.

just be carefull some combi have volt free contacts i run my grey and orange from values to these contacts .all browns are still call wires from stats.

My good friend told me a thing on heating as he is a heating engineer ideal boilers now require the pump is fed from the boiler not wiring centre as if not guarantee voided hope this helps

just be carefull some combi have volt free contacts i run my grey and orange from values to these contacts .all browns are still call wires from stats.

Yes some combis have the option of volt free contacts but i have yet to see a system boiler that does not require 230v switched live.

My good friend told me a thing on heating as he is a heating engineer ideal boilers now require the pump is fed from the boiler not wiring centre as if not guarantee voided hope this helps

A very valid point,most system boilers now require the pump to be wired directly to the boiler,first time i came across this was a few years ago,pump in loft and boiler in downstairs kitchen(i was cursing the plumber lol)and will invalidate the warranty if not done correctly.

i know what you mean i was called to check wiring which was fine called my friend the heating guy to pick his brains thats when he tokd me the boiler was brand new i was lucky because boiler and fixings all in same cupboard above a club they even gave me a free pint even thought it couldnt be sorted cos was flow problem app its so pump can keep going to remove heat out of boiler to stop damage thanks for your reply ps how do you send friends requests on here

Reply to s plan in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net