Discuss Scheme question for first time joiner in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked a lot but I can’t find the right answer, I will try and explain it the best I can do.

I am looking to join a scheme for the first time as I have now got my two years experience.I have done a 4 week course to get some qualifications to my name they are :
  • 2393-101 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings
  • 2382-602 Understand the Requirements of Electrical Installations BS 7671: 2018
  • 2392-100 Fundamental initial verification of electrical installations
I cannot find a scheme that is best for me-
NICEIC & Elecsa -
  • Domestic installer scheme does not allow EICR testing
  • Electrical contractor scheme - Seems to be for companies of multiple employees and not Sole traders but does allow EICR testing
  • Competent person scheme - Says not for people who are electricians only
Napit -
  • I cant seem to find my qualifications in their booklet for me to know if i even qualify

Give them both a call and see what they say to you. At the end of the day the want your money and they’ll let you know if you need anything else.

niceic domestic installer is the way forward. you can do eicr's but not under their banner, think you need 2391 to do that, plan for it in the future.
Thank you for the reply and the advice, so if I where to do a board change for example or a re-wire I would complete an EICR and then would I have to send that to building control or just give to the customer?

Give them both a call and see what they say to you. At the end of the day the want your money and they’ll let you know if you need anything else.
Thank you, I will do in the morning im just worrying as I’m hoping to start a re wire within the not too distant future and would like to be able to certify it

I think your mixing up EICR (reporting on the condition of an existing installation) and EIC (certifying work carried out by you. ie rewire.board change etc.)
As a domestic installer you can do EIC and notify the council but not do EICR's.
So for what you want then a domestic installer is the way to go.

Thank you, I will do in the morning im just worrying as I’m hoping to start a re wire within the not too distant future and would like to be able to certify it

you’re welcome, but check that they’re happy with your qualifications first before you start the job and that you can prove competency to them, or you could end up up the creek without a paddle when it comes to notifying building control.

They’ll also tell you exactly what they want to see from you work wise, (it’s normally 2 new circuits) and let you know what documentation, insurances etc... you need.

good luck. ?

Go NIC-EIC - dom installer, do the EICR’s when required (if you want to get involved in them) on non NIC-EIC green sheets (you’ll want to get some Prof.Indemnity insurance as you’ll be giving a professional opinion/advice)

I think your mixing up EICR (reporting on the condition of an existing installation) and EIC (certifying work carried out by you. ie rewire.board change etc.)
As a domestic installer you can do EIC and notify the council but not do EICR's.
So for what you want then a domestic installer is the way to go.
Ah yes it’s me getting mixed up, thank you for clearing that up.I appreciate it

you’re welcome, but check that they’re happy with your qualifications first before you start the job and that you can prove competency to them, or you could end up up the creek without a paddle when it comes to notifying building control.
Yeah I will do 100% that’s why I’ve been panicking about not being able to find what I’m looking for even though it’s been right in front of me ??

Reply to Scheme question for first time joiner in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net