Discuss scotland again in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dingledong

So if you could vote what would you vote ?

And what do you think the outcome will be ?

I am inclined to vote yes by about 5% but I think it will be a no result

i've not heard anything on TV discussions etc.......But if a Yes vote succeeded..what happens to the armed forces that protects our little Island......which of course will not be an island no more!

Salmon's 'plans' seem to have a lot of answered questions, and according to the press the Scotch would be much worse off if they broke away, such as the need for massive spending cuts in things like the NHS (Salmon is reported to have lied over the future of the NHS) and defence. Defence might not sound important but for one thing they'd lose the confidence of the US, which isn't the best as it is since they released the Lockerbie bomber.
Also in the papers are suggestions that things like groceries and mobile phone bills would increase, since they are consistent throughout the UK, but in Scotland they would have to supply more remote areas so the cost per customer would increase, which the companies would pass on to the customer.

Given the lack of clarity in Salmon's campaign it seems to be a vote between keeping things the way they are, or a vote for 'what's in the mystery box', so I think the Scotch would have to be mad to vote 'yes'.
Also in the papers today are reports that the 'yes' campaign have been trying to bully supporters of the 'no' campaign, which could well be skewing the opinion polls.

If the papers are to be believed, it will be a resounding 'no'.

I disagree Adam, I think it's going to be a very close run thing. I also dispute what the supermarkets etc have said about having to supply remote areas therefore increased prices are inevitable, unless they plan to move all their outlets to the Shetlands then nothing is going to be any more remote than it is at present.
Talking to a few Scots I know the feeling is that the yes campaign is going to edge it. I blame the lacklutre no campaign for this, they have concentrated on why independence would be doom and gloom rather than stressing the positive aspects of remaining in the union.
Trotting out an Irishman (Geldof) and a Yemen born "comedian" (Izzard) to a rally in London the other night for them to add their weight to the campaign was frankly the height of stupidity. Why was the rally not held in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow or any other place north of the border? It would have been far more relevant than Trafalgar Square.
They've had George Galloway likening the Yes campaign to Adolf Hitler And David bloody Beckham spouting off his opinion. Since when did he become the voice of informed and reasoned political debate
I can't help feeling, like you, that there are far too many unanswered questions for a yes to be a sensible choice but it seems like the no campaign have continually shot themselves in the foot.
I hope I'm wrong.

I would vote NO The Union is what makes us different to the rest of the world, makes us stand out we are a nation of 4 countries and if 1 leaves we will all be worse off
We have fought for freedom together against the Nazis liberating millions of people from tyranny, When there are disasters in the world were one of the first nations to help. With Russia on the rise and China threatening everyone in there neighbourhood claiming control over seas or islands that aern't theres. I think there is more need for the union than ever, there is more that binds us than divides us. Its the torys at the minute but as he said he wont be here forever but independence is I didnt vote for them and like you I have to put up with them as the majority did vote for them.
Together we created and built the modern world apart we will all be poorer

I can't help feeling, like you, that there are far too many unanswered questions for a yes to be a sensible choice but it seems like the no campaign have continually shot themselves in the foot.
I hope I'm wrong.
I totally agree mate.

On the opposite side of the planet we don't get much info on this so I might have got the wrong end of the stick but from what I see whichever way the Scots vote they've won. Surely with all the new agreements that have been signed and stamped there's no way they can lose, whichever way the vote goes they've got more independence and autonomy than ever before and likewise whichever way the vote goes England or whatever it is that remains of the union will lose.

The Yes campaigns too much of a blag to be a viable option it all just seems to be half truths to scare Westminster into giving Edinburgh more power, if the Yes campaign does win I don't think they'll know what to do as they are after more independance but have it funded by central government

On the opposite side of the planet we don't get much info on this so I might have got the wrong end of the stick but from what I see whichever way the Scots vote they've won. Surely with all the new agreements that have been signed and stamped there's no way they can lose, whichever way the vote goes they've got more independence and autonomy than ever before and likewise whichever way the vote goes England or whatever it is that remains of the union will lose.

Nail hit and head spring to mind

The Yes campaigns too much of a blag to be a viable option it all just seems to be half truths to scare Westminster into giving Edinburgh more power
The no camp has been doing exactly the same though.
Supermarket prices will go up...no one has yet explained why this would automatically happen.
Today some ex service chiefs have said an independent Scotland would make the rest of the UK more prone to terrorist attacks...Once again, they didn't explain how.

Perhaps you haven't realized Marvo that Cameron has a history of lying, so we cant take to much notice of any promises he makes.

Perhaps you haven't realized Marvo that Cameron has a history of lying, so we cant take to much notice of any promises he makes.
My understanding of UK politics is somewhere between sketchy and non-existant but the way I understood it was that these new offers in Scotlands favour were already approved and signed and couldn't be reneged upon.

My understanding of UK politics is somewhere between sketchy and non-existant but the way I understood it was that these new offers in Scotlands favour were already approved and signed and couldn't be reneged upon.

Yes, but what they will offer has not been declared.
They're very crafty and cannot be trusted.

The no camp has been doing exactly the same though.
Supermarket prices will go up...no one has yet explained why this would automatically happen.
Today some ex service chiefs have said an independent Scotland would make the rest of the UK more prone to terrorist attacks...Once again, they didn't explain how.

your right mate the no camp is just as bad both sides couldn't explain their way out of a wet paper bag, and then you add the 3 biggest divvys in the country (Cameron, Clegg and Milliband) into the mix and it just gets better, school kids could do it better

Reply to scotland again in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net