Discuss Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the sticky trunking to stand my metal clad consumer unit off the wall or wooden back board so my cables all enter the board through the rear entry holes so that flames from this non existent fire can’t escape the CU, I very rarely knock a knock out of either the sides or top

One thing I like about Hager & Wylex CU's, is they also manufacturer (metal) wall spacers for their products. Not cheap, but look better than anything I could replicate.

Maintaining the fire integrity of a metal consumer unit surely is common sense no?
My jtl guy that did our 18th is also an NICEIC inspector he was very passionate about fire safety to the point we should also be fitting intumescent pads in the back of plastic boxes in stud partitions. A little added protection never hurts anyone and for the sake of £2.89 I will continue to do so.

I've posted this vid a few times now, and it is getting a bit old, so the guidance isn't current, but I can't see things have changed that much. 3.55mins discusses CU's & sealing thereof;

https://electrical.------.org/wirin...l-discussion-1-at-the-elex-show-in-harrogate/

I think using sealant of any kind, is a bit of a bodge. A CU by nature will need additions from time to time; its not like sealing a bath, shower etc.

Because I've have OCD's :D

I also worked on a building where a metal control board set on fire inside and the heat was intense enough for the wooden partition next to it to spontaneously com-busted, even though the flames did not escape the metal enclosure. I was quite astonished by this at the time and it stuck in my mind.

A larger distribution board in a commercial or industrial setting, might need different considerations; a simple domestic CU does not need all these fire retardant measures.

Last couple of CU's I've done, where the cables come through large rear entry I've sandwiched a piece of intumescent pad between the enclosure and wall/board prior to fixing the enclosure. Ive then cut a cross in the pad, fed the cables through and then moulded the pad back round the cables as they enter to reduce and seal the gap. Not sure if thats better than filling with sealer or worth the effort especially if its a busy box.

bad enough having to seal cut-out fuses and meters without all this crap as well.

Reactions: ipf
bad enough having to seal cut-out fuses and meters without all this crap as well.
Do you use expanding fire foam or intumescent mastic ?

Last couple of CU's I've done, where the cables come through large rear entry I've sandwiched a piece of intumescent pad between the enclosure and wall/board prior to fixing the enclosure. Ive then cut a cross in the pad, fed the cables through and then moulded the pad back round the cables as they enter to reduce and seal the gap. Not sure if thats better than filling with sealer or worth the effort especially if its a busy box.

Why for so? If the cables came out of a cavity (naughty) perhaps. Just out from the back, I don't see why you should go to that expense.

I'm no longer current, but have you ask your scheme for guidance?

All this extra work cost someone money, and it seems to me to be an unnecessary.

One of the installs was on a board mounted on couple of patterns to allow access from behind. Goes back to previous threads about mounting on wood which numerous meters and CU's seem to have been mounted on over the years.

Must admit the lower specified IP ratings for the side and bottom of enclosures doesn't exactly support a case for making the enclosures sealed enough to prevent a chimney effect as I believe someone mentioned earlier.

If we were serious about reducing the risk of fire due to poor or loose connections perhaps the manufacturers should come up with a design that eliminates having to get a small bit of exposed copper into a barely visible slot and then tighten up a screw!

Some of the kit we are asked to install is utter c**p when it comes to any consideration that has been given in respect of ease or practicality of installation.

I’m glad my videos bring awareness to such grey areas in the industry. This is exactly why I make videos on a public format so they get shared around and discussed. Appreciate any feedback good or bad. Even though some of you guys are damn right nasty without even knowing me.
@Reevio - It's somewhat childish to refer to us on this forum as a bunch of old women. You to are a member and therefore by definition must be an old woman also? :)

Here is my feedback, 'good or bad'...

The thing with Youtube is to a certain extent watchers do know you in thatchy know the quality of the work you do and whether it is right or wrong.

I've seen a few of your videos and do applaud you that you have the aptitude to do the videos. You clearly have your sycophants by virtue of some of the comments they make. I watched the videos for entertainment value not for technical content or quality. I've seen you give totally wrong statements/advice in your Youtube comments and again totally wrong information in the videos.

An example that springs to mind is the house where the owner took down a stud wall in the kitchen/lounge area. You jointed the cables using Wago connectors and then ----ed the lot in the ceiling void utilising either a Wagobox or a Wagobox light professing it was mainatenece free. It clearly was no such thing in the manner you had installed it and you could not have ever looked at any Wago literature on how to install the things.

I've also seen you install downlighters way too close to timber joists thinking that is ok to do.

I regret to say that I have a first year apprentice that knows both of the above examples are a not correct.

Can I ask your background because sometimes you are CRS, sometimes HRS. Most of your videos are electrical based but there were some where you did building work. Are you a builder by trade? Did you do an apprenticeship or a Electrical Trainee course?

I don't think the situation surrounding fire sealing is a grey area and other more respected and knowledgeable people on here have already pointed out your errors.

I dont think you make these videos to 'highlight grey areas and so they get shared around and discussed' (my paraphrasing) because if that were the case you'd not be making 'bog standard videos' of domestic rewires et al. How do they shed light on grey areas of the industry? You're a member here. I challenge you to post your 'grey area' videos here first for industry discussion, though I anticipate you won't have the nerve to do so???

Why don’t manufacturers just make a ‘19th addition’ non combustion bomb and fire proof surface mounting accessory for domesticated consumer unit wiring.

Kind like a surface wiring patters just much larger and supply with it a tube of flame retardant sealant to caulk in any gaps or holes
Because they need to sell us Amd. 1,2 & 3 regs books etc first.

@Reevio - It's somewhat childish to refer to us on this forum as a bunch of old women. You to are a member and therefore by definition must be an old woman also? :)

Here is my feedback, 'good or bad'...

The thing with Youtube is to a certain extent watchers do know you in thatchy know the quality of the work you do and whether it is right or wrong.

I've seen a few of your videos and do applaud you that you have the aptitude to do the videos. You clearly have your sycophants by virtue of some of the comments they make. I watched the videos for entertainment value not for technical content or quality. I've seen you give totally wrong statements/advice in your Youtube comments and again totally wrong information in the videos.

An example that springs to mind is the house where the owner took down a stud wall in the kitchen/lounge area. You jointed the cables using Wago connectors and then ****ed the lot in the ceiling void utilising either a Wagobox or a Wagobox light professing it was mainatenece free. It clearly was no such thing in the manner you had installed it and you could not have ever looked at any Wago literature on how to install the things.

I've also seen you install downlighters way too close to timber joists thinking that is ok to do.

I regret to say that I have a first year apprentice that knows both of the above examples are a not correct.

Can I ask your background because sometimes you are CRS, sometimes HRS. Most of your videos are electrical based but there were some where you did building work. Are you a builder by trade? Did you do an apprenticeship or a Electrical Trainee course?

I don't think the situation surrounding fire sealing is a grey area and other more respected and knowledgeable people on here have already pointed out your errors.

I dont think you make these videos to 'highlight grey areas and so they get shared around and discussed' (my paraphrasing) because if that were the case you'd not be making 'bog standard videos' of domestic rewires et al. How do they shed light on grey areas of the industry? You're a member here. I challenge you to post your 'grey area' videos here first for industry discussion, though I anticipate you won't have the nerve to do so???
Give me a call tomorrow we can have a chat

All this fuss over pretty much nothing...

If you want to caulk your fuse board then knock yourself out

If you don’t want to caulk it then fine just leave it caulk free

spot-on best comment in this thread so far .

I'd be pretty Pee'd off if I went to a job to add a circuit and someone had filled the rear entry with sealant for absolutely no reason.

By publishing your point of view as best practice or regulation you are encouraging others to think the same way. Inexperienced sparks and potential customers.

Spreading misinformation by accident is one thing but continuing to do it once you know better is something else.

I'd be pretty Pee'd off if I went to a job to add a circuit and someone had filled the rear entry with sealant for absolutely no reason.

By publishing your point of view as best practice or regulation you are encouraging others to think the same way. Inexperienced sparks and potential customers.

Spreading misinformation by accident is one thing but continuing to do it once you know better is something else.
Please don’t exaggerate. Let’s be honest all I’m doing is filling the gap next to the cables that didn’t get filled.
You’d be a better man than me if you could add an extra circuit in a consumer unit mounted to the wall. Without 1 having to cut a patch in the ceiling or wall. 2 having to remove the consumer unit to gain entry.
Let’s be honest there are 2 other available knockouts on the rear of the consumer unit and around 10-12 available knockouts on the top? Appreciate your comment.

I use the sticky trunking to stand my metal clad consumer unit off the wall or wooden back board so my cables all enter the board through the rear entry holes so that flames from this non existent fire can’t escape the CU, I very rarely knock a knock out of either the sides or top
The fact you have created a void behind the CU with access for any heat and gases through the rear entry and into the void is, in effect, a chimney, with the possibility of, if gets hot enough, melting or setting fire to the top bit of trunking and therefore improving the chimney effect.

As others have said, I think there is a tendency, because of all the urban myths, to over think what should be a simple install. Just fix it to the wall, or a board, or whatever, that's what it was designed for without any revenue generating add ons from various manufacturers.

It's not supposed to be fire proof. It's designed to contain a fire within if one should occur. If a fire should occur there is not much in there that's going to burn anyway, which was the point in getting rid of the plastic.

Don't over think it and risk making it worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock