Discuss Security lighting 500w flood with pir in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys just want to check a few things out
my bruv wants a security light fitting on the rear of the house normally i would just come from a fused spur in a bedrrom but he has a large consevatory full length of the house so impossible

my only alternative is a attached garage, half of which as been coverted into a kitchen
the other half left as it was and used as a utility room where there is a existing double socket and i will install a 5 amp sw/f/spur from there i am thinking of running 1.0mm in trunking up to the roof space then over the new half of the kitchen in the rafters and out from the soffit of the extension into 20mm black conduit to a masterseal ip56 switch then continuing upto a adaptable waterproof box and then 1.0mm black flex to the flood which will be fitted with a angle bracket on the corner
Is this acceptable
should i use heat resistant flex or rubber sheathed ??
or is it ok to just use flex from the switch to the light as it seems a lot of expense just for a flood
i post a pic so you can see where its going cheers for any help
I am also soon going to change existing ccu and fuseboard for my assesment with elecsa but my bruv wants the light fitting before next saturday for a party thanks

here are the pics

Attachments

• DSC01274.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01276.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 34
  • STA42543.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 35
  • STA42544.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 33
could you not access a lighting circuit?

otherwise what you suggest is fine, depending on how much cable will be on show and its height you could run black flex straight to light and save the conduit although if you are fitting a switch then conduit would prob look neater

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah in the garage which is also the circuit for the 4 downlights in the new part of the kitchen
so its as broad as long as the socket is already there and i dont want to use the lighting circuit as its not on the protected side of the rcd guy who fit new board fit a split load single rcd sockets and cooker on rcd side lights on 6 amp volex type b no rcd i am going to eventually either change this board or fit rcbos and have to transfer existing original circuits from a wylex board to this ccu or replace both for a new one with 3 way split dual rcd the there are lots of things i will have to put right
the reason i want to wire to a fused spur is when i upgrade the boards i will move this from the spur to the board so it will be on own circuit
there is already a existing flood but its over conservatory have to hang out bathroom window to change the bulb scary
so should i do it in conduit upto the light or is it acceptable to just use flex and it will run up about 3 metres from ip56 straight up at side of drain pipefrom switch to the flood
and what type of black flex should i use cheers
here is a pic of flood over the consevatory

Attachments

• DSC01274.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
and i dont want to use the lighting circuit as its not on the protected side of the rcd

Outdoor fixed equipment is not required to be protected by an RCD.

although i would say rcd is preferable

various arguments about the cable that can be used fp200, swa even micc - small runs to single lighting points would be fine in standard pvc flex with drip loop as mechanical protection not an issue up height

Outdoor fixed equipment is not required to be protected by an RCD.

although i would say rcd is preferable
Hi mate thanks for replies
I will probably go with fused spur so i can transfer to the new ccu when i fit it, and install a rcbo
as this circuit is already rcd protected
also mate can you tell me if there is a cheaper bs61009 rcbo i could use to replace a volex VR06 6 amp type b cb bsen 60898 as the volex ones are £30+ and when i transfer all existing circuits will have to buy about 4 more rcbos and at that cost would be cheaper to fit a 3 way split dual rcd board

check the for sale forum some one was selling a load cheap

wylex will fit into volex and prob most other makes also

cheers mate hope they are not the chinese type firework ones or the ones with no insides lol
I will leave the choice to my bruv wether he wants a complete new ccu or use the volex one which was fitted in the last 6 yrs with no certs labels or rcbos as he may chose either he is loaded unlike me lol
the switch will be at side of door as in pic and will run straight up so do you think its better to provide mechanical protection upto the light and just flex from the wiska type box
cheers mate i will check out the wylex or other makes

Last edited:
thanks mate
its better for the extra few quid as his mrs is a registered child minder and has lots of kids including my 2 nephews so i will go with the conduit
should i use the Pvc cement to seal the conduit

Last edited:
cheers mate
I was thinking that because of weather it will only be a run of abot 4 metres in total but no pont putting conduit up for it to be penetrated by water as it will run down to the swich
Cheers for taking the time to give advice much appreciated I have always tried to do the best job i can and my brothers install is a complete bodge so over time i will improve it
but he has had it all re plastered and attic boarded 2 week ago didnt tell me spanner, fitted wardrobes ,wood flooring, conservatory etc etc. just about everything he could to make it impossible to get to things . i told him before he got most of this work done to let me rewire it but he does everything backwards. the work he has had done as just added to the mess
original install has 4 way wylex fuseboard with a mix of 30 amp bs3036 fuse,controlling some of upstairs and downstairs sockets and also a 32amp type b wylex replacable cb controlling remainder of upstairs and downstairs sockets and a 13A sw/ f/spur for 4 doublesockets in conseratory the fan and light in here may also be not sure yet though, A 6 amp for all the lighting up and down. the original 500 watt flood a 32a for a circuit for a electrical shower he used to have which is ran up the cavity from a large hole bashed near consumer unit straight up cavity to attic where there are two more large holes with the cable coming from this one of holes they have gone through to outside complete with wren or blue --- nest lol he has got rid of elctric shower so this is coming out
basicaly its a complete mess and nightmare but what can i do he is my bruv and leting me use it for assessment
will take a lot of time to look for faults and test it all before replacing existing fuseboard and possibly the ccu
heres a pic of the consumer unit and shower run

Attachments

• DSC01299.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01277.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 14
lot of messy tails, just ensure bonding is adequate and do a quick ir and cont test first, then hopefully straightforward board change that will be nice and neat - pictures to follow? :)

yeah mate real mess,
but since this pic was taken ive got british gas to get unitied utilities to fit a 100amp wylex isolator tuesday just gone and at the same time they have fitted new digiital meter and also upgraded the tails on there side all for £39 quid so looks a little better already and i will get rid of mess with either trunking or come through the back of the board the old circuits have capping that runs all way to bottom of the meter board through to the wylex cables coming from all over shop so will have to work out best way to terminate to new ccu either bring back to top or joint out in a suitable enclosure
it would have been quicker to rewire but to late for that now with all the work he has had done
thanks for your help and good advice mate will take pics as i do it have to sort out registration with elecsa and other stuff first as i wish to use it for the assessment so i will have to give them a ring to see what i need to do notify labc then then register with them

lot of messy tails, just ensure bonding is adequate and do a quick ir and cont test first, then hopefully straightforward board change that will be nice and neat - pictures to follow? :)
hi mate sorry to mither you again could you please tell me where i can buy some 1.0 mm black flex suitable for outside to wire from the adaptable box to the flood been everywhere and cant seem to find any my local wholesalers is changing hands from private to century electrical wholesalers and they have nowt in just spent over a hour to get three lengths of conduit and a few other bits they useless

Last edited:
I tried there they only have 0.75 and 1.5mm i will try this electrical electronic shop thats close to me or i will just have to use 1.5mm or 1.0mm white for now its a joke only place i can find what sells it is TLC direct but that will be next week now nearest cef is wigan 7 mile away i only need about 1 metre tried screwfix they are same not many people seem to stock 1.0mm black i am going to buy a 50 metre or 100 metre so ive got it for other jobs there has to be somewhere or i just order it from tlc direct for early next week was planning doing it today. I went to my wholesaler and he gave me aprice for everything yesterday went today and its hanging to Century electrical wholesalers we used to have a cef in leigh but its gone now
ill just use the 1.5mm if i have to cheers mate

Reply to Security lighting 500w flood with pir in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net