Discuss Segen technical conference in Brum in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I went to the last one, really enjoyed the free lunch. The rest was a bit boring, death by powerpoint. PV Sol stand (corner of corridor) was probably the most popular although some of the seminars were very packed.

I'll be there!

I'll be the one asking the akward questions!

It's this Thursday. We're booked in to be there but if Friday is washout then we'll have to bring an install forward and miss out.

Looking forward to hearing your awkward questions!

We ca't get anywhere near one, gales have left us 2 jobs behind and trying to get caught up - will you feed back any interesting info????

OK,

I asked the akward questions:

Earthing and RCD's
Euorocode 5

Earthing / Bonding
TL inverters - earthing / bonding (as per the decision tree) from both SMA and Fronius was unambiguous, - DO IT, don't risk the chance of slight shock to an aerial installer or the like (velux windows..) at a later date, it he fell off a ladder, H&SE will investigate and start asking lots of questions which will probably result in a retrofit requirement.

RCD's interesting here.... For Fonius and SMA, which have built in DC injection protection Type B's are NOT required.
Ideally configire the installation so that an RCD isn't required.
Where BS7671 requires an RCD, use Type A 100mA, where 30mA is required by BS7671, try in the first instance to reconfigure it so it isn't need, if all else fails, then the problem of nuisance tripping can in most instances be overcome if you use a Wylex RCD (said a bit under the breath - must be something to do with the spec - who said quality - of the Wylex kit).

Eurocode 5 and Slate roofs.

Slate:
Schuco dead against anchor bolts for slate, they don;t see how it is compliant despite a numberof their customers using hanger bolts exclusively, use iether of their 2 slate hooks, one screws through the bottom slate, longer one goues over the top of the slate, lead over and dress the top slate around. They promised photos and written instructions..

Eurocode 5:
In 35-38mm trusses, either properly installed reinforcement or noggins, both of which require access to the internal roof space, so won't work on loft conversions. They promised photo's and instructions ...

Hope that helps

Good feedback Worcester, thanks. I went to the Renewables Roadshow in Wembley today but I think I would have got more out of attending the Brum event!

Re: 30mA RCD protection - as far as I can see it, my honest take on it is this - if the nature of the installation absolutely requires "human protection against ground fault", ie 30mA/50Hz/Human body RCD protection then the aim should be NOT to use a TL inverter in the first place. You can't have your cake and eat it, so to speak.

;-)

Hello all, I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me

Re the above posting and reference to earthing and / or bonding of array frames

I am struggling to see why it is needed and what protection it affords, can someone help me out please?

Anyone going to this weeks Segen Conference at St Helen's?

I'm heading down from Scotland for it, being a newly registered installer, I'm hoping to learn from it. Any tips on what not to waste time on?

Reply to Segen technical conference in Brum in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net