Discuss Self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, om new to all this so im needing a wee bit of help. im just about to start an apprenticeship and i am wondering how i would go about being self employed once i finish my time. I aint sure if i need to do a couple of years after i complete apprenticeship or can i start straight away. im hoping to be able to certify all my own work but im unsure if you need to join an approved organisation or what? also how do i actually become an approved electrician? if i have to show previous completed work to an organisation to actually join them to sign my own work, then who actually certifys this previous work i would have done? also, i am in scotland if that makes a difference with rules and regs!!!

Thanks.

to be honest mate, its not something you need to be concerned about at the moment. for info though, to be registered as self employed you need to ring your local tax office, and they send you a UTR number

hey scott_boy welcome to the forum. -like the others said dont worry to much about the future focus on the moment what your doing.
- to be able to certify your own work your going to need to register with a scheme like niceic.
- to become a fully qualified electrician :
1) Must have been a registered apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.

2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1

3) Must have had two years experience as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.

4) Must have demonstrated competence and obtained a suitable qualification (the City & Guilds 2391 is a suitable qualification) in the inspection, testing and commissioning of installations - see Note 2.

Note 1:

If the applicant meets the other other three criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent).

b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.
- im not sure about to much of diffrences between Scotland tho. apart from part p building reg doesnt apply.

excellent, all the info i needed. thanks guys!! especially simpson93 for all the detail!!

Thats exactly how i thought it would be, im a wee bit unsure of a bit of it. once i complete my apprenticeship, what happens if i got paid off straight away!! how do i gain 2 years experience to become an approved electrician if i dont have an employer, could i get that experience self employed or what?!!!

You usually need an employer to vouch for you when it's ACA time, although it's not always necessary.
All the info you need is on the SJIB website

In Scotland SECTT manage ALL the electrical apprentice training. Make sure you are getting trained through SECTT as they put you on the SJIB /UK register of electricians
SECTT will not recognise other college training and I have seen people do 2 years at college and find they are no further forward.

Don't worry too far ahead.

I would suggest you buy some books - I reccomend Brian Scaddan - Domestic Electrical wiring for a start

Don't worry and enjoy things- it's a great time to do an apprenticeship

Stick in, turn up on time, don't give back chat, keep your phone off and always ask questions and tidy up

Cheers

My advice would be not to get too far ahead of yourself. If you jump into working for yourself too quickly you may still be lacking the experience to make a proper go of it. I thought when I came out of my time I would know everything but in reality you need a few years doing jobs alone with the backup of older sparks when needed to gain the confidence required to go it alone.

Enjoy your apprenticeship, you are lucky to have the opportunity in this climate, and listen to the older blokes. If you show willing they will show you things which wll save you a lot of time and head scratching in the future.

Good luck and welcome to the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net