Discuss Shocking bathtub scene in the James Bond "Goldfinger" film in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, thought I'd visit from the plumbers forum and throw this item of discussion to the electrical engineers on here. Please be aware this is NOT an experiment I actually plan to try!

In "Goldfinger", James Bond electricutes a man by throwing an electric resistance heater into an enamelled cast iron bath.

The man is sitting in the bath, fully dressed, with his back to the taps and the waste (both presumably are in some way earthed) and he is leaning forward such that he is in actual contact with the water and the (insulating?) enamel of the bath only.

My question is, would the man actually (necessarily) sufffer a fatal electric shock?

My reasoning is as follows: the electric heater already contains both phase and neutral (and possibly CPC), so throwing it into the bathtub is likely to result in a mild overload current between the phase and neutral, with no real need to run through the bath water to reach the earthed waste outlet on the bath. That a fuse eventually blows is suggested by the fact that the current eventually ceases. The bath is full of water which, while a conductor, is not an especially good one, so there is no reason to assume the current would rather run to earth through several feet of water and the man's body, than simply short to neutral or earth which are both contained within the electric heater. The man is wearing trainers, so cannot come into direct contact with the resitance windings on the heater (and, looking at the footage on Youtube it is clear that he does not).

My feeling is, that the man, even if he recoils from the heater and touches the earthed taps, is in about as much danger as a bird on high-tension overhead cable. I realise it only takes a few mA to stop the heart - I just can't see why the electrical current would choose to run through the man in the first place. Unless, or course, the plug or cable on the heater is faulty and is only connected to live, without N or CPC side, in which case the villain is singularly unfortunate.

What do you make of this? With most people, this discussion normally ends with 'everyone knows electrical heaters are dangerous in wet environments', but that isn't a technical answer and doesn't actually explain what is going on in the film. In any case, in the film, the heater throws an orange arc several inches into the water, which seems quite unlikely in the real world. Having read pages of debate regarding the dangers of neon screwdrivers, I'd love to have your outlook on this film scene.

Not remembering the film fully, and the age of it, there wouldn’t be an RCD at that time, and if that scene wasn’t in UK, then the old EEBADS might not come into it either..

Yep!

Not remembering the film fully, and the age of it, there wouldn’t be an RCD at that time, and if that scene wasn’t in UK, then the old EEBADS might not come into it either..
1964 in Latin America, so forget RCDs (had they even been invented?) and probably the heater isn't earthed at all. I was assuming the waste and taps would be earthed, if only by virtue of running underground at some point.

Ric2013 - that was a very well worded post and a good question actually.

Are you sure you're a plumber? ??
Of course. If I had chosen the electrical trade, there would be no one left to explain to electricians how to wire in a thermostat ;)

Thank you all for your helpful contributions and replies.

1964 in Latin America, so forget RCDs (had they even been invented?) and probably the heater isn't earthed at all. I was assuming the waste and taps would be earthed, if only by virtue of running underground at some point.

Of course. If I had chosen the electrical trade, there would be no one left to explain to electricians how to wire in a thermostat ;)

Sorry to invade this thread but it seems I have lost the ability to post unless I reply to an existing post and that is hit and miss. I know @James is affected and I see some are posting. Have tried to contact @Dan but not sure if successful. If you are affected hit "agree" to this post.

Sorry to invade this thread but it seems I have lost the ability to post unless I reply to an existing post and that is hit and miss. I know @James is affected and I see some are posting. Have tried to contact @Dan but not sure if successful. If you are affected hit "agree" to this post.

Forum is pretty much unusable for me today. Taking ages to load anything. And still getting the ads, including in the reply box. I know ads are essential, but it really is borderline unusable.

Forum is pretty much unusable for me today. Taking ages to load anything. And still getting the ads, including in the reply box. I know ads are essential, but it really is borderline unusable.
I have no ads but @James, @Strima and myself cannot post except by replying to a post but only certain posts. Any chance you can pm Dan.

I have no ads but @James, @Strima and myself cannot post except by replying to a post but only certain posts. Any chance you can pm Dan.

I'll see what I can do

I'll see what I can do

Okay, found the problem. Was a caching error. I've turned off a few things and it seems to be parsing the settings correctly now.

My number is 07779 555 007. For URGENT stuff like this, always feel free to text me. :) Was at a bonfire so couldn't get back quick enough but am back and am even sorting it before taking wet clothes off lol :)

Anyway those guys in the little youtube thing about whether you would be electrocuted with all the gear to test it. Whats the bet if I did a James Bond electric heater move when they were in the bath they would jump out, or not?

Anyway those guys in the little youtube thing about whether you would be electrocuted with all the gear to test it. Whats the bet if I did a James Bond electric heater move when they were in the bath they would jump out, or not?
I would be jumping out as quick as my Legs could propel me!

They concluded in that video that you would most likely die. They would therefore not be able to jump out....?☠️

Reply to Shocking bathtub scene in the James Bond "Goldfinger" film in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net