Discuss Short course trained operatives in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
You knew it had to come.
Mike and Tony have done the Electrician and Industrial so it is only fair we do one for the short course members, Mods this is not for Bashing them or taking the Michael but it will be good to see the results.
I am off to work now, but look forward to the results this evening!!

Cmon guys, no one is going to admit to being a 5 week whizz kid!?

If they're on this forum, they know that they will get bashed, so they either lie about their quals, or they just keep their mouths shut. I reckon we've only got two that openly admit to being 5WWs on here.

What is the point of this thread other than to draw them out of the woodwork so we can bash them later on?

Personally, I'm not fond of bashing the individual Electrical Trainee (that is unless they start giving it large about how good they are), just the system in general that allows the Electrical Trainee to exist. In my opinion, Electrical Trainee bashing has already been done to death here.

I have never completed a full time apprenticeship i did all my learning on the job over 5 years and educated myself as best i could in the evenings. I will admit to wasting £1000 on a one week Part P course thinking it may teach me something of value, but it did not, i knew all of what they were telling us and the other people were useless. One was an Architect who when asked to wire the RFC connected all the sockets together in a ring without any connections to the supply DB. And the other was an NHS manager of some kind and wired the lights to the board without switches! I come here to help where i can and learn what i can. I know my limits and will not do something i am not 100% confident i know what i am doing.

I cant see anyone putting their name down to this as they get slates so much and I think the outcome would not be a positive one. Just my opinion....

Hello Everyone!!!

I think you all know that I have undertaken a similar course, 6 months at Stroud College.

I stick to domestic as that is what the course is aimed at and I would not consider doing anything commercial or Industrial.

The course was well structured and the main tutor was very experienced and I believe he has taught the majority of the (actual) electricians in Stroud. You may know him Mike.. 'Gary Clark'?

I absolutely love working as a domestic Installer and work to the following principles in priority order:

1. Always do a safe job and adhere to the regulations.
2. Be polite, professional and friendly.
3. Make some money

I would love to do the 2330 if I ever find the time!

Last edited:
Yeah listen Mods it wasn't meant as a negative thread, but maybe Damian and others may be right.
Shut the thread down for me if you like!!

Let it stand, I am interested , would like to know how long these course's are ,how much money it cost's etc, and maybe an honest account on technical/practical ability.

Yes I'll own up Iam a 5 week wonder with the advantage of an electrical/ electronic back ground in the military used to working 3 phase and motors but stick rigidly to domestic work unless iam supervised by the sparkie I sometimes work for. A place for for everyone and everyone in his place I know my limit or I ask!

Yeah listen Mods it wasn't meant as a negative thread, but maybe Damian and others may be right.
Shut the thread down for me if you like!!
No need, they edit and shift threads about for fun, no need to tell them anything, good thread I think mate, I too wonder how many Electrical Trainee we have here, I bet we don't find out though.

Yes judging by the limited responses I think you may be right Mike.

You can't really blame them though Glenn and Mike. The other 2 threads about who's an 'electrician', and who's an 'industrial' electrician have both been started because both Mike and Tony are proud of the fact they are electricians (and so they should be), whereas noone really wants to show off the 'domestic Installer' badge, its more of a means to an end. So, like Damian says there probably isn't much point to the thread! No offense intended Glenn, I think you started it with good intentions.

If a number of 'short course trained operatives' (AKA Electrical Trainee - It just doesn't sound right saying 'Short course trained operatives'!! :smiley2:) do start up a discussion though i think it could be quite interesting.

ps.. Still confused about how many n's in your name Glen(n)?

It would be interesting to know their backgrounds a what made them think of changing careers and how easy it is to spend their hard earned...

Mike , Ray as pinched my/ your Avatar. Bad boy Ray!!!

I think for 1 day or a week every singe member should have the same avatar.
I don't know about others but I recognize the avatar before the username most times.

Careful now, this dogs viscous you know , I might have give him back to you Glenn , oh no he's just bit the mrs ,,
theres a good dog...

Hi all, I am a two week wonder, I paid £2700 for my course including the 2391 which I undertook a week later. I 'wanted' to be an electrician because of my grandfather but due to financial restraints I was unable to start until my mid twenties and couldn't afford an apprenticeship wage. I had two years experience prior working part time evenings and weekends with an 'old timer' and wanted to leave the dead end job desperately. I worked for a further two years along side another fully qualified spark part time whilst maintaining my old job. I then started employment with a firm and have continued to grow my knowledge. I don't know half of what some do but then I don't try to be what they are and do not try to undertake what they do.

After nine years I Now have the task of completing a college course that my tutor says is pointless for me so that I can have a piece of paper to make everyone happy that I am worth employment should I chose to move on in the world.

*tin hat on*

Hi all, I am a two week wonder, I paid £2700 for my course including the 2391 which I undertook a week later. I 'wanted' to be an electrician because of my grandfather but due to financial restraints I was unable to start until my mid twenties and couldn't afford an apprenticeship wage. I had two years experience prior working part time evenings and weekends with an 'old timer' and wanted to leave the dead end job desperately. I worked for a further two years along side another fully qualified spark part time whilst maintaining my old job. I then started employment with a firm and have continued to grow my knowledge. I don't know half of what some do but then I don't try to be what they are and do not try to undertake what they do.

After nine years I Now have the task of completing a college course that my tutor says is pointless for me so that I can have a piece of paper to make everyone happy that I am worth employment should I chose to move on in the world.

*tin hat on*

So you are a 9 Year wonder that's not a fast track route is it. I know lots of old boys with no papers and they are fantastic Electrician's, the whole Electrical Trainee rant by everyone is not so much that they take a 5 week course it is that they then go self employed and start charging the public to practice on their homes.
Anyway I am not going to bang on about that.
Thanks for being honest mate and explaining how you got to where you are, that's what I was hoping to get from this thread.

Reply to Short course trained operatives in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net