Discuss Smart Switch Upgrade in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

IronShing

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 220v House I want to change this switch to smart switch, but I am stumped, I don't have a neutral so I had to return the switch I bought and got another one that needs a capacitor. Attached is the wiring diagram for the new switch and the current connection.

Please help me which wire do I put in to L and L1 and L2?

Please help Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_224605672.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231218_224546980.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231218_213023443.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231218_213019429.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231218_213014121.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-19 at 17.35.07_61ec9213.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 9
This has the potential for confusion, currently all the wires are red and we cant tell you to put the red wire in here, followed by the other reds here, here and here.

this would be a straightforward job for an electrician but a challenging and potentially unsuccessful task for forum support in doing it yourself.
p.s. the diagram also points out that a capacitor needs to be fitted across one of the light fittings, connected to a specific terminal.

time to get your wallet out I think.

Profile says UAE, but looks like a UK switch…. Do they use UK products over there?

I will advise that the two switches use different labelling

L1 on the old switch is the common terminal and in your case is the L on the smart switch. There will be 2 cables used here. The short links between the L1’s on the old switch can be discarded.

The 3 x L2’s on the old switch are the switch wires going out to each light, and should be put into L1, L2 and L3 individually

A good idea would be to mark these with coloured tape before disconnecting.

Remember to isolate and test the circuit before working on it.

Reply to Smart Switch Upgrade in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net