Discuss Smoke detectors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Innominata

Hi Guys,
I have just completed a PIR for a house that has had a recent upgrade.The general condition is very good.The only thing that I am not sure about is the fact that the hall smoke detector is supplied from the nearby hall light,and the landing smoke detector is supplied from the landing light.The two alarms do not appear to be interconnected.Is this arrangement ok or should it be given a PIR code.
Many thanks

Hi,

I am sure that the smoke alarms should be interconnected and battery back up(?). I agree that this should be recorded on the PIR as you have discovered it.

Are they going to rectify the connection?

Best wishes

Rex

That what i was thinking.

If they are, it takes a few seconds from when the test button is pressed on one, for the other(S) to sound.

Hi,
I had a similar problem, I gave it a code 4 (recommendation) and also gave the customer a quote to fit the radiolink bases to the detectors. They are about £35.00 each radiolink. The smoke detectors were from B & Q, so did not have the capability of being radiolinked.
In the end I used the Aico smoke alarm units (optical multisensors, with battery backup and can be radiolinked).
Quick and easy and the customer was pleased.

Best regards,
Sav

Hi Innominata,

I must admit the radio link option sounds good and quite reasonable priced. When you did the PIR did you notice if there was three core and earth run between the smoke alarms? I f so I guess it might have been cheaper to replace the fitted smoke alarms if the cabling checked out ok.

Interesting stuff and this forum is great for some sound advice.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Rex

can someone be kind enough to explain radio link pls.

to my understanding a fire alarm can be off a lighting circuit if it can be isolated by a spur right??& it cant be on a 30ma circuit neither right??

does radio link mean you only need to supply power to one alarm???

sorry people but fire alarms & extractor spurs in bathrooms stump me!!

Reply to Smoke detectors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net