Discuss Soffit Lighting. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amicus

Hi Been asked to quote to replace downlights in existing soffits.The ones fitted are cheap gu10 50w.
No rcd on this circuit.They are fitting new upvc soffits.I,m thinking of going 12v ip65,fire rated with 35w lamps.The client just wants a like for like swap," They have been in for years and been fine".
I would like to get the job, any comments??

Hi Been asked to quote to replace downlights in existing soffits.The ones fitted are cheap gu10 50w.
No rcd on this circuit.They are fitting new upvc soffits.I,m thinking of going 12v ip65,fire rated with 35w lamps.The client just wants a like for like swap," They have been in for years and been fine".
I would like to get the job, any comments??

I would fit the IP65 and Fire rated 240v things. RCD fused spur the part of the lighting circuit you are working on.

Nowt wrong with 12v just my preference, less work and cost as there isnt any transformers to mess about with.

Cheers........Howard;)

You could also consider recommending Low Energy lamps---------Less Heat generated , not too mention less maintenance for the customer....

The Last bit may just swing it for you .

By the way ,not sure about the necessity for RCD protection==Not saying its not a good idea but Why is it a requirement ?

Hi amicus. All socket outlets [up to 20A] require RCD protection but it is not necessary for Domestic lighting. It would however, be required if you were installing a new circuit for the lighting and the cable was buried less than 50mm [with certain exeptions ][

I would also suggest trying LEDs. They are cool running, and buying a good quality product the customer will not have to change them for several years. I used 20 of this one recently: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
very good quality for the price and with warranty. You will need IP65 housing for them.

hi i just purchased 30 off gu10 60smd lamps from hong kong. 99p each plus 2.50p delivery. had to waite yonks for them.but super bright been selling them to customers for £10 each. got another 20 on order.not see any in the local wholesalers. found on good old e bay .i am running 24/7 at home to test been on now 5 weeks .no heat just bright light .deffo need ip 65 outside.i think these will really take off when the word gets around .no special drivers just bung um in sorted sling the 50w lamps in the bin days are numbered ?

Reply to Soffit Lighting. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net