Discuss some advice please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

grantyboy

hi there, i need some advice from poeple in the know. im currently looking to become an electrician. im 27 and in a dead end job, so need a career change b4 its too late. im looking to do the city and guilds stage 1 and 2 cert in electrotechnology in the first year followed by stage 3 a year later. now obviously an apprenticeship would have been the best thing but at 27, its a non starter so im just wondering if this is the best way to go.

any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

I'm sure some people (who have done a shortcut) will argue with this, but I would say that to become a good electrician takes at least 5 or even 10 years and to be honest the money ain't that great. I know there seems to be a myth about sparkys earning £50 an hour, but I am sure most of us work mega hard and lots of hours for maybe 30k a year.

ffs dont despair the free bus pass is along way off, lenny correctly says its all up in the air at the moment but electrical installation isnt the be all and end all, i work in industrial maintenance electrics and our company would take on a 27y old apprentice who wants to learn any day over the usual teenager who stands with his hands in his pockets looking like hes doin you a favour just for being there,( although we have found a gem this year wholl do well), truth is,once they out of there time they need @ another 3 year intense supervision cause college day was a day off innit?? a time servred tradesman should require minimum to no supervision.
dont give up mate, sounds like you have a lot to offer,
good luck and explore all avenues.

Reply to some advice please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net