Discuss Some people just don't appreciate the lengths you go to in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lip.82

-
Reaction score
Anyone else been in this situation, if so how did you handle it?

Get called out to someone who has a living room light that isn't working. Turn up on time, put boot covers on, dust sheet down, I'm polite, the light fitting is class 1 (and also faulty) getting power to it but not working. The problem is no earth at the light. I explain to customer what the problem is and that I'm not prepared to put another class 1 fitting up and recommend a class 2 fitting. For obvious reasons to all on here. Then she starts having a right go at me saying that I have to do as she says because it's her house and she's paying me. I tried my hardest to explain it wasn't safe and why. To which I got the famous saying 'well it's worked for years'
End result I put a pendant up and left with her saying she will get someone else

I got paid by means of her slamming the money in my hand and saying 'here'
I like to leave a job with the customer happy but in this situation what else could I of done.

I have been asked to leave a few times when I've explained things. No doubt Customer then sought assistance elsewhere. In those cases I've never been paid, so you're one up on me buddy :)

You were professional,explained the reasons,and probably this was why she actually paid.

She will maybe get a "spark" who agrees with her assessment,and fits what he is directed to fit...and they both can live happily ever after.

Welcome to the Great British public,who only ever either absolutely amaze me...or are just targets for soft fruit throwing ;)

The two ladies who did that for me,this week,were the teacher,who saved the little girl from choking,during a school lunch :)

...and the one who pushed the lad off a train platform :(

Sadly,if you run an advert,your next call could be from either.

It can't be class 1 if there is no earth on the circuit. Probably class 01.
Although not permitted since the 13th Edition (i.e. banned since the 14th in 1966) I don't believe there have been that many electrocutions from Class 0 (or 01) luminares ("fittings" in the old regs.) installed out of reach over non-conducting (carpeted+underlay on floorboard) floors. The customer wanted it to be repaired to its previous (i.e. working but not to current, as in previous 51+ years) standard and you wanted to do it to current standards. I can understand both points of view (and am glad that I'm not a practising electrician.)

... I don't believe there have been that many electrocutions from Class 0 (or 01) luminares ... and you wanted to do it to current standards...
Reflecting on this if I may :)
Doing electrical work that has a chance of hurting someone is unacceptable to me.
Professionals must follow standards and apply them in a way that is safe and functional, which is my take on the original post.

I just hope you have put it in writing to her, maybe send a MEIWC with a statement regarding the lack of CPC to cover your arse. If she gets in a cowboy or helpful neighbour who fits a Class I fitting and she gets a shock you could well be implicated in it as neighbours saw your van...Personally I have lead a blessed life it seems as in forty four years I have only had three unreasonable customers.

Reply to Some people just don't appreciate the lengths you go to in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net