Discuss Starting Up On Your Own... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

blewards

Hello folks, new to this forum so hopefully I am not going over old ground here. Had a scan through some existing threads and I dont think my questions are answered elsewhere so hence i started this post.

Basically I am toying with the idea of possibly starting my own electrical firm - one man band sort of thing. I have already had meetings with the local goverment enterprise to get clued up about accounts/tax returns/ business plans etc but what i am unsure on is my current qualifications and if they will stop me from doing certain work.

I finished my apprenticeship and passed my FICA in 2000. I have my 16th edition and also inspection & testing and thats it. I left the company who put me through my apprenticeship in 2002 as the travelling all over the UK was not as good as it started out and my old boss was starting to muck me about over pay, anyway and I manged to get work as an electrical maintenance engineer for a local organisation. The thing is I have not looked at a regs book, on site guide or done any testing in over 6 years now. Had a flick through the books recently and most of it came back to me but i had forgetten a few test procedures. I still do some minor installtions/ upgrades and have carried out work in my own home so i have kept my hand in the hands on side of it.

Anyway to get to my points...

With the 17th edition coming out will i need to do some sort of refresher course? or can i trade as a sparky but with 16th qualifications. If i dont have my 17th can i carry out testing work? say periodic or installations? I noticed alot of posts about "Part P" is this an extra as well as doing the 17th? Basically there is the chance that i can take over the maintenance of over 150 flats but these will possibly require periodic testing to be carried out.

Does a firm need to be NICEIC or Select approved to be able to trade?

Sorry for the war and peace post but i really dont know where to get the answers. i may try and speak with my old college lecturers as well for advice.

Cheers in advance

Blewards

:)

Don't waste your time on a "part p" qualification, most of these are limited scope level 2 qualifications.

You best course of action is to speak to and then join a self-cert scheme (there are 5 to choose from) as most work in dwellings is notifiable. They will tell you what qualifications they expect you to have. You will need to do th 17th Edition full course if your 16th is a few years old. And they will expect you to demonstrate competence in Testing, so if you are rusty do a 2391 course or now there is a 2392 qualification which is a level 2 "introduction to testing" i believe. but as i say speak to either-NICEIC, NAPIT,BRE certification (ECA), ELECSA or KITEMARK

Good Luck

Hello folks, new to this forum so hopefully I am not going over old ground here. Had a scan through some existing threads and I dont think my questions are answered elsewhere so hence i started this post.

Basically I am toying with the idea of possibly starting my own electrical firm - one man band sort of thing. I have already had meetings with the local goverment enterprise to get clued up about accounts/tax returns/ business plans etc but what i am unsure on is my current qualifications and if they will stop me from doing certain work.

I finished my apprenticeship and passed my FICA in 2000. I have my 16th edition and also inspection & testing and thats it. I left the company who put me through my apprenticeship in 2002 as the travelling all over the UK was not as good as it started out and my old boss was starting to muck me about over pay, anyway and I manged to get work as an electrical maintenance engineer for a local organisation. The thing is I have not looked at a regs book, on site guide or done any testing in over 6 years now. Had a flick through the books recently and most of it came back to me but i had forgetten a few test procedures. I still do some minor installtions/ upgrades and have carried out work in my own home so i have kept my hand in the hands on side of it.

Anyway to get to my points...

With the 17th edition coming out will i need to do some sort of refresher course? or can i trade as a sparky but with 16th qualifications. If i dont have my 17th can i carry out testing work? say periodic or installations? I noticed alot of posts about "Part P" is this an extra as well as doing the 17th? Basically there is the chance that i can take over the maintenance of over 150 flats but these will possibly require periodic testing to be carried out.

Does a firm need to be NICEIC or Select approved to be able to trade?

Sorry for the war and peace post but i really dont know where to get the answers. i may try and speak with my old college lecturers as well for advice.

Cheers in advance

Blewards

:)

speak to the scheme you are going to join. You WILL need the 17th, either the update or full, bit note that means EXAM, not course!

If you are qualified, to satisfy Part P, you must be abvle to demonstrate knowledge of the building regs, and just taking EAL DEI Unit 001 (Appllicable Building Regs for Electrical Installations) would suffice.

when you say you 'have' inspection and testing, do you have 2391?

If not do it. And if you do, and are a bit rusty, there is a very good training provider on here, then will do you an 'ad-hoc' course, built to suit your requirements

:confused: Hi, i am also looking to start up on my own,in the domestic side of things,with maybe a few cards in our local post office shop etc. to start with.I am currently out of work and after many interviews and dear john letters think the only way of getting the experience and work is to get out there and do it myself. However i really do need advice on what is needed to be able to go out there and do it!:confused: if someone is able to answer the following few questions it really would be a great help?
  • What insurance's do i need to arrange, is it Public Liability and Private Indenmity ?
  • Once I start to recieve work do i declare it? (vat etc)
  • Is it wise to become a member of Napit first......i hold my part p and C&G 2382? many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Nab

Am not far from you actually, but to answer your questions, Yes get public liability insurance. Try Direct line website, easy online quote procedure. Yes you need to declare your income, all of it, or the tax man will come looking and it will cost a hell of a lot more in the long run (take it from someone who knows!). Best to get an accountant and bookeeper if you hate paperwork, and lets face it most of us do.

As for the Napit thing, I dont do domestic so dont know much about it but some of the other chaps on the forum will no doubt be able to help.

Good Luck

Reply to Starting Up On Your Own... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net