Discuss Surge - Commercial - When is an SPD required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone advise when SPDs are required to be installed on commercial properties?

I'll always install them on a full rewire of a commercial property or if I need to install a new DB, I'll make sure to fit one with an SPD installed.

What about if its a large store, 36 to 72 way existing board but with no surge protection and they require an additional single phase circuit to be installed. Should we be fitting an SPD? This could potentially double the cost of needing an extra circuit installed.

The recent regs guidance is it should be present on any new commercial installation. However, it is not clear if that means it is a necessity for modifications such as the fitting of a new circuit as here.

There is always a risk they will go with Bodgit & Co who quotes without SPD and no explanations, so at the very least you might want to discuss it with the customer and explain how it would normally be fitted these days and could potentially save them a significant cost later on if it stops damage to electronic equipment.

Can anyone advise when SPDs are required to be installed on commercial properties?

I'll always install them on a full rewire of a commercial property or if I need to install a new DB, I'll make sure to fit one with an SPD installed.

What about if its a large store, 36 to 72 way existing board but with no surge protection and they require an additional single phase circuit to be installed. Should we be fitting an SPD? This could potentially double the cost of needing an extra circuit installed.
I cant remember her name but think it might be Kirsty who frequents the forum and is the resident SPD expert. I am sure somebody will correct me if wrong

I cant remember her name but think it might be Kirsty who frequents the forum and is the resident SPD expert. I am sure somebody will correct me if wrong
That's probably Kirsty at Surge Protection Devices? Not seen her on here so don't know her username, but from her appearances on E5 and similar she clearly knows her stuff.

Might be worth an email to her OP.

Both IET and NAPIT confirmed to me that if you are going with amendment 2 then 443.4.1 applies to new circuits, so unless you get the customer to say they do not want it and they understand and accept the loss then you have to fit one.. It's nuts but that was what they said, interestingly I am having a current argument because an EV charge point installer is not fitting one as standard, even though they are installing to amendment 2, and they are fitting a seperate consumer unit (They wanted to fit it in the meter box till I told them they were not doing that.. Still waiting on their response, ironically they are the manufacturer and installer and it even says in their guidance that an SPD should be fitted at source...

Reply to Surge - Commercial - When is an SPD required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net